Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 D110, currently with a 200Tdi and R380 5 speed manual. I was looking at the transfer box, and then at the three shifters in the cab and realized I have a global roamer overdrive installed. Does anyone have experience removing this? will I likely find an LT230 transfer case in there still? I know very little (i'm sure this is now disgustingly obvious to all of you reading this), but I am so excited and scared (mostly excited) to move forward with this project. I already have both feet in. This motor is toast. I need my defender to be quiet, be able to routinely drive highway speeds, and be an automatic. The only off-roading it will do is on the dirt roads of colorado that get me to my fishing holes (but it will do a lot of that), and of course it will get a lot of work in deep deep snow. I realize I'm transforming it into a machine that purists may despise, but I've dreamt of having this as my daily driver since I was a kid. This will be my dream come true.

The LS3 430hp engine is on the way with a "connect and cruise" 6L80E automatic transmission. I've read that the global roamer overdrive will not be compatible with this. I'm just curious about what I'll find when I take it off. I chose the LS3 with the 6L80E based on its compatibility with the LT230 by using the products developed at RW-eng, and now I'm afraid I'll take off the overdive and find some other transfer case.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll keep you up to date on the project if you want.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
The Roamerdrive overdrive is specific to Land Rover, so you definitely still have an LT230 transfer case. Depending on the condition of your transfer case, and the gear ratio, you may want to either reseal, fully rebuild, or replace it since you will have an otherwise new drivetrain. You won’t really be needing that overdrive with your new 6l80e transmission, as it has a wide enough ratio and has a low 6 speed gear for highway cruising.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have a 1991 D110, currently with a 200Tdi and R380 5 speed manual. I was looking at the transfer box, and then at the three shifters in the cab and realized I have a global roamer overdrive installed. Does anyone have experience removing this? will I likely find an LT230 transfer case in there still? I know very little (i'm sure this is now disgustingly obvious to all of you reading this), but I am so excited and scared (mostly excited) to move forward with this project. I already have both feet in. This motor is toast. I need my defender to be quiet, be able to routinely drive highway speeds, and be an automatic. The only off-roading it will do is on the dirt roads of colorado that get me to my fishing holes (but it will do a lot of that), and of course it will get a lot of work in deep deep snow. I realize I'm transforming it into a machine that purists may despise, but I've dreamt of having this as my daily driver since I was a kid. This will be my dream come true.

The LS3 430hp engine is on the way with a "connect and cruise" 6L80E automatic transmission. I've read that the global roamer overdrive will not be compatible with this. I'm just curious about what I'll find when I take it off. I chose the LS3 with the 6L80E based on its compatibility with the LT230 by using the products developed at RW-eng, and now I'm afraid I'll take off the overdive and find some other transfer case.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll keep you up to date on the project if you want.
You should definitely remove it/sell it given the gearing and engine you will have. It's pretty straightforward to do, but will require 2 parts: 1) a cover for the back of the LT230 where the Roamerdrive is currently bolted up; and 2) a replacement input gear where the Roamerdrive used to be. Take a look at the online instructions Step 4

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should definitely remove it/sell it given the gearing and engine you will have. It's pretty straightforward to do, but will require 2 parts: 1) a cover for the back of the LT230 where the Roamerdrive is currently bolted up; and 2) a replacement input gear where the Roamerdrive used to be. Take a look at the online instructions Step 4

This is so helpful! you probably just saved me a huge delay and headache. I believe i found the right part at rovers north: Gear Transfer Mainshaft Lt 230
RN Model #: PLN398
I just emailed them to see if it is right. I'll get the cover too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vendor for LS3/6L80 combo

Time to buy the engine. I've looked at 3 vendors who sell new engine/transmission combos, each with pros and cons. Anybody out there have a preferred/trusted vendor?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Time to buy the engine. I've looked at 3 vendors who sell new engine/transmission combos, each with pros and cons. Anybody out there have a preferred/trusted vendor?
You will not need that overdrive anymore....

My builder @Scullyoffroad used Turnkey Engines for the LS.
...and (i went with a manual transmission) but they used https://www.novak-adapt.com/
along with RW-eng.com for the adapter.

Good luck!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Turnkey is probably the best from what I hear, Motech uses them for their Jeep conversions last I heard.

I've gotten both a Gen 4 LC9 and a Gen 5 L83 locally through Kijiji. The Lc9 was $3000 with a 6L80 and 14000kms and the L83 was $3500 with the same transmission and 6000kms. WAY cheaper and you get a lot of the extra parts you might need like the gas pedal, accessories etc.

Both trucks were written off and engines pulled. I've heard of places that sell engines from trucks that get written off during shipping as well but I never did find out where from.

The Gen 5's are pretty cheap right now because people are unsure what to do about steering and manifolds etc but so far I've got things figured out so no big deal. I was watching a Motech video where the owner Robbie was saying that the new 5.3 will replace the 6.0 in terms of power and torque, can't wait to run mine. mate it up with an 8L80 and it will be even better. I towed my 31' trailer up to Yosemite with a 6.0 GMC so power will never be a problem lol. I'm pretty sure my RWeng adapter is the same as the LS based engines for the Gen 5.

Good luck with the build,
Sean

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what’s the cost all in from start to finish on an
LS swap when you do the work yourself?

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
thats pretty... congrats.. you won't need luck...Nick has taken all the guesswork out of this swap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've gotten both a Gen 4 LC9 and a Gen 5 L83 locally through Kijiji. The Lc9 was $3000 with a 6L80 and 14000kms and the L83 was $3500 with the same transmission and 6000kms. WAY cheaper and you get a lot of the extra parts you might need like the gas pedal, accessories etc.
I have been looking for L83 with either 6L80E or 8L90E in Canada particularly Alberta or BC as I’m in the middle for that kind of price. Where did you get yours from.
thanks
Bal

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been looking for L83 with either 6L80E or 8L90E in Canada particularly Alberta or BC as I’m in the middle for that kind of price. Where did you get yours from.
thanks
Bal
I ordered all of the engine, transmission, and accessories from Turnkey automotive. Kolby was super responsive and helpful. They've helped with plenty of these conversions, so they knew exactly what I wanted. I bought the engine and transmission new, so it was very expensive. They programmed the ECU and the engine arrived with all of the accessories already in the right place, with the belt mounted and everything. I also bought a new transfer case from Ashcroft.

Yesterday was the first day of real work, after researching all of this on this forum for about 7 months.
We got the engine, transmission, and transfer case outta there!! we even got SOME of the fluids in the containers. The rest came up nicely with a lot of kitty litter and brake cleaner.

And if anyone wants the engine, tranny, transfer case with Roamer Drive, Front bumper/A frame, grille, light covers; I'm getting rid of them all.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts