Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of yesterday I started to have an issue with my key locking the doors. I press the lock button and horn sounds like a door is open. I press it again and the doors lock.

I've checked all the doors and there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
The hood switch. It is built into the passenger side hood latch Just spray some brake clean or electrical contact cleaner in the latch. I'm guessing you have something else going on. Do you have any way of reading the fault codes? Do you have passive entry?

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hood switch. It is built into the passenger side hood latch Just spray some brake clean or electrical contact cleaner in the latch. I'm guessing you have something else going on. Do you have any way of reading the fault codes? Do you have passive entry?
So when I click the locks I hear it fire then there is a delay and then the horn sound then I click again and it works.

I haven't open the hood in forever

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find it odd the hood is attached to the door locks. So the switch is the actual safety hook/spike that holds hood down?

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
I find it odd the hood is attached to the door locks. So the switch is the actual safety hook/spike that holds hood down?
Assumption here is it is the same part for the LR3 and 4.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sprayed the catches with brake cleaner. Didn't fix anything. I see I can unplug them (thanks Russell) will play with it tonight.

Question - If the hood catch was bad wouldn't I get a warning the hood was open? And how does it play into door locks?

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Sprayed the catches with brake cleaner. Didn't fix anything. I see I can unplug them (thanks Russell) will play with it tonight.

Question - If the hood catch was bad wouldn't I get a warning the hood was open? And how does it play into door locks?
Yes. It's part of the alarm system. If the hood is open with the doors locked, it sets off the alarm.

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Makes sense but in theory wouldnt the doors not lock if it was bad? It just takes two clicks. I will disconnect the plugs and clean. If that doesn't work do I need to go to the dealer or should I just replace the mechanisms?

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Read about the CLS Operation in the material I provided. It includes a blurb about mislock which is sounds like what is going on:

A mislock occurs if the CJB (central junction box) receives an external lock or superlock request when any hinged panel is ajar, an invalid key is in the ignition switch or the repetition blocking limit for the door latches is reached. To indicate a mislock the CJB (central junction box) uses the horns to produce a 100 milliseconds 'chirp' and withholds flashing of the turn signal lamps.

If a mislock occurs because an invalid key is in the ignition switch or a hinged panel is ajar, the CJB (central junction box) still externally locks any doors that are closed. The closed doors are only externally locked, even if the original request was for superlocking.

If a mislock occurs because a hinged panel is ajar, when the hinged panel is subsequently closed the CJB (central junction box) maintains the current locking state until it receives another external lock or superlock request.

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Read about the CLS Operation in the material I provided. It includes a blurb about mislock which is sounds like what is going on:

A mislock occurs if the CJB (central junction box) receives an external lock or superlock request when any hinged panel is ajar, an invalid key is in the ignition switch or the repetition blocking limit for the door latches is reached. To indicate a mislock the CJB (central junction box) uses the horns to produce a 100 milliseconds 'chirp' and withholds flashing of the turn signal lamps.

If a mislock occurs because an invalid key is in the ignition switch or a hinged panel is ajar, the CJB (central junction box) still externally locks any doors that are closed. The closed doors are only externally locked, even if the original request was for superlocking.

If a mislock occurs because a hinged panel is ajar, when the hinged panel is subsequently closed the CJB (central junction box) maintains the current locking state until it receives another external lock or superlock request.

Makes sense. Will play with the connections then when that doesn't work I will sell the truck.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Makes sense. Will play with the connections then when that doesn't work I will sell the truck.
Before you play with anything, open the hood, place both hands on the extreme front corners (hands spaced all the way apart), and close the hood firmly pressing through. You will feel one corner of the hood kick up a few millimeters (probably the truck's right side) if the latch did not completely engage. Then try closing the hood harder. Don't be a wuss, slam it. $100 this is what is going on. If I am wrong, then I'll pay you the $100 out of my consulting fee that has racked up to $100 so far.:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.