Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m new to this forums but have been in the LR world for a bit now. I have been building and driving a 1988 Santana 3500dl for a bit and have found that locating parts or the correct numbers has been a challenge to say the least. Not sure how active this forum but it’s worth a try to get something started for the US market!

· Premium Member
11,994 Posts
In most cases, the Santana is very different from it's Solihull cousins which as you know can make locating parts difficult. If there were someone who could publish a complete parts list, than this would benefit all the Santana owners.
Have worked on a number of Santana's and while many of the interior, suspension, differential, and body parts look similar, they are different starting in the 1970s.

Consumable parts like brake and clutch parts are shared with the British Land Rover, but the year of manufacture can be completely different, so what I think you really need is a cross reference from the Land Rover part number to the Santana make model and year. While this is no easy task, it could be started and become "a living document" that Santana owners can fill out over time as they discover the answers.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s what I have been trying to do myself also most parts tend to have some interchangeability with series or defender models but as I’m putting this thing together noticing some are obsolete.

The latest is the brake rotors apparently are challenge!

· Registered
524 Posts
I can confirm the gauge binnacle in a 1988 Santana is 100% interchangeable with a British built model. I installed the raptor inner and outer binnacle in my Santana. It fits without modification. For the money, the raptor binnacle is a nice improvement over the flimsy plastic binnacle.

I also installed an MPH speedometer from a D90. The issue is the speedometer reads higher than actual speed but I’m guessing I can correct that by changing the speedometer drive gear. I’m going to wait to do that as I have other changes planned (gearbox and t-case) that will also alter the speedometer. When I get that done I will figure out what drive gear I need.

The other gauges in the binnacle are different, made by Hellla or Veglia, I can’t recall which at this moment. However, the British gauges fit the binnacle.

I also just started to install Puma front seats. They are definitely different. Santana seats are wider. However, it is pretty simple to imstall the Puma seats by making new holes for the seat tracks.

I am trying to decide what to do about the axle assemblies. My Santana axles are very well worn along with the brake parts attached to them. Long term, I just think it is a better option to swap them out with something for which repair parts are common and not nearly as costly as Santana parts. I have only found calipers from one source for 395 UKP each. The rotors I found were $250 each.

I have had to put the Santana project on the back burner but expect to dig back in this summer, As I make the changes I will report back with my findings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts