Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Defender 110 TD5, right hand drive
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking to sell my 2001 Land Rover Defender 110 TD5- Right hand drive_ Southern Africa.
I am based in Cape Town, South Africa and am immigrating to Toronto this year.
It's got 166,000 KM, complete service history. I've owned it for 15 years. It's a good one.
Since its a right hand drive, i am not sure i should bring it along.
Any advice or buyer contacts would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone,

Landy.1.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Take it with you...... sell it in person in Canada. Probably 1,800 to ship with paperwork.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Take it with you...... sell it in person in Canada. Probably 1,800 to ship with paperwork.
Bryan,
Consider his suggestion. That’s what I would do. Great looking Defender!

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
Active Canadian market in them. Check in with the Ottawa Valley LR group on FB etc.
Strongly recommend if it has any weak spots that you get them sorted before you go.
pS I am unfamiliar with Canadian import rules. Except the 15 year rule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
That's a good idea as I can definitely bring it. It's 20 years old.
Have a great weekend.
All the best,
Bryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Active Canadian market in them. Check in with the Ottawa Valley LR group on FB etc.
Strongly recommend if it has any weak spots that you get them sorted before you go.
pS I am unfamiliar with Canadian import rules. Except the 15 year rule.
Hi Rocky,
Thank you for the lead and reply.
I will check it out.
I don't want to sell it, but i am not sure how practical it will be as a daily driver in town as it is right hand drive.
Have a great weekend.
All the best,
Bryan

·
Registered
LR D90 TD5
19 Posts
Hi, I am a fellow LR owner in the Toronto area.
There "is" a market for the Defenders, however it seems that it is mostly a buyers market. I personally do not like the idea of a RHD in a LHD country, however there are plenty of RHD cars around Canada being driven and their owners have little issues navigating them on our streets.
I will caution you: insuring a RHD is more difficult and more expensive after you finally find a company willing to do so.
If your main purpose is to bring the rover here for re-sale, you may want to re-consider if it is worthwhile (depending on cost/valuation). If you are bringing it over to enjoy, with the possibility of selling it, if you get a fair value offer and aren't in a rush, then you will love the attention and taking it out to local trails. A lot of guys became defender resellers and flooded the market with RHDs. LHDs command a huge premium, minimum 25%

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There "is" a market for the Defenders, however it seems that it is mostly a buyers market. I personally do not like the idea of a RHD in a LHD country, however there are plenty of RHD cars around Canada being driven and their owners have little issues navigating them on our streets.
I will caution you: insuring a RHD is more difficult and more expensive after you finally find a company willing to do so.
If your main purpose is to bring the rover here for re-sale, you may want to re-consider if it is worthwhile (depending on cost/valuation). If you are bringing it over to enjoy, with the possibility of selling it, if you get a fair value offer and aren't in a rush, then you will love the attention and taking it out to local trails. A lot of guys became defender resellers and flooded the market with RHDs. LHDs command a huge premium, minimum 25%
Hi,
Thank you for the email and your insight.
That's great advice about sorting out the insurance and getting around in town.
As i have mentioned it, i would like to keep it, but it will be my daily driver and work vehicle. So i guess it comes down to if it works for me.
Thanks again and I hope to see you on the roads with a "lady wave" of respect.
All the best,
Bryan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why does it cost more to insure a RHD in Ontario ? In BC it's not even a issue that is asked about ?

One thing that might affect your decision to import with you ... is what the difference in value that exists between SA and Canada ...

What would your vehicle be worth to sell in SA ? A 110 in nice condition can get the better part of 800000,00 Rand, if my exchange is correct

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
If i sell it, it would bring more there than here. There are quite a few around as they stopped making them in 2016.
The latest ones can bring up to 700,000.00+/- Rand.
All the best,
Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts