Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

Looking for some crossbars that will fit the roof of my 97 NAS 90. Saw a pair of frontrunner cross bars on RN for 300 bucks, but that seems too expensive to me. Has anyone used anything else or made their own clamps for the drip rail? Hoping craigslist or a local shop will have something for a bit cheaper.

Another question-- has anyone found a cigar lighter USB charger converter that works in their defenders? I've tried a few and none of them seem to fit... starting to make plans for a wind powered charger if anyone is interested or has done this before...

Appreciate any info/ recommendations/ pics of projects.

Thanks and enjoy the ride,

sam

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
The genuine LR version are going to be double the ones you were looking at.

Take out the cigar lighter and get a waterproof USB. I put it in my RR.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
There are two different sizes of 12V power outlets and plugs, size A and size B. Size A is what is usually used in U.S. vehicles, and size B in European ones. Size A is a little bit smaller in diameter than size B, so it can sometimes be a loose fit. I remember the dealer telling me something about an adapter sleeve one could get, but never pursued it. I've had marginal luck with bending out the side tongs a bit to make the converter fit more securely in the Rovers.

The RN price for the Front Runner load bars is the same as on the Frontrunner website. They're reasonably priced for what they are IMO. With such an expensive vehicle you want to use something too crappy, especially if there's a danger of them cracking the drip rail, and all the grief that will bring. If I was looking into having a local shop fab something, I'd be inclined to something that would clamp onto the roll cage; much stronger.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Howdy folks,

Looking for some crossbars that will fit the roof of my 97 NAS 90. Saw a pair of frontrunner cross bars on RN for 300 bucks, but that seems too expensive to me. Has anyone used anything else or made their own clamps for the drip rail? Hoping craigslist or a local shop will have something for a bit cheaper.

Another question-- has anyone found a cigar lighter USB charger converter that works in their defenders? I've tried a few and none of them seem to fit... starting to make plans for a wind powered charger if anyone is interested or has done this before...

Appreciate any info/ recommendations/ pics of projects.

Thanks and enjoy the ride,

sam

Defenders won’t go fast enough for a wind powered charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts