Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not about a Rover but a friend is looking for a reasonably priced mechanic who can change some gaskets on an 08 BMW 535 in the Fairfax, VA area. The dealer wants 5000 dollars, so any leads for mechanics in the area will be much appreciated. Its an oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket and some hose leak from cylinder head to the water pump. Parts are 250 from the dealer but labor is 4750! Thanks for any leads.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Don't know how close that is to Richmond but there is a pretty decent shop there ... Jimmy will know the name.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I dislike dealers as much as the next guy, but I feel like there may be some omitted info here, $4750 in labor for replacing a few gaskets? Even at $150/hr($50 more than the dealer here charges) that's almost 32 hours.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Sounds like they don't want the work ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richmond is about 100 miles away I think.

------ Follow up post added August 27th, 2015 12:12 PM ------

I read his estimate, there's other stuff on there but just the three gaskets are actually more than 5k. Its two gaskets and a hose.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I'm thinking this requires the engine being pulled....yep.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Sarek Autowerke in Richmond is great. They only hire master technicians and pay their techs salary so they have no incentive to take shortcuts to 'beat the book'.

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
I know this is not about a Rover but a friend is looking for a reasonably priced mechanic who can change some gaskets on an 08 BMW 535 in the Fairfax, VA area. The dealer wants 5000 dollars, so any leads for mechanics in the area will be much appreciated. Its an oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket and some hose leak from cylinder head to the water pump. Parts are 250 from the dealer but labor is 4750! Thanks for any leads.
Bob Drye @ German-Swedish Auto in Springfield VA. Literally the most honest mechanic I've ever met, and the only person (besides myself and family members) that work on any of my vehicles. His shop is very nice, and actually someone that takes pride in their work and company reputation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, Loudon Rovah's Waleed Ahmadi referred it to the Mexican mechanic next door as Waleed touches nothing but rovers, who is reportedly doing the work for 200 dollars. 200 versus 4750 labor charge from the dealer, normally I'd advise against such a cheap mechanic but if Waleed recommended him than it should be ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts