Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put 30mm spacers on and the original studs should be a bit longer to get a few more threads engaged...how should I go about replacing with longer studs? Do they come out of the hubs out do I need new hubs? Where does one buy them...thanks...

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found them... FRC7577 .... anyone know who carries them?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a PM from the John who used them with spacer adapters....they are approx 57mm vs 60mm so should be perfect...and they are cheap from the above source...

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Be sure to post some photos of the Defender after you install the spacers. I'm thinking about doing the same.
Here is a picture of my Defender after using the cheap eBay 30mm spacers. I'll reinstall only after sourcing better quality nuts. Thinking the crap Chinese steel is too soft, but YMMV. At least use locktite as it is not like you can go back in to retorque the nuts with the wheel on.
BTW - the NAS factory studs are plenty long to clear the spacer nuts. The factory lug nuts on the spacer studs is fine as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Ouch Russell.. Glad you are ok.. Did it snap off?
All five spacer nuts backed off and remained captive between the spacer and rim. Perhaps I didn't torque them. Don't know. The word of caution here is there was ZERO indication the wheel was about to fall off until a slight steering wheel wobble during a right hander a mile earlier that went away after the curve. The wobble was faint but noticeable. At first thought low air pressure and the KM2 sidewall ribs lugs were in play. Then the wheel fell off... instantly. Just kept it straight and pulled off to the side of the road. The rotor left a nice scar on the asphalt. Zero damage to the D besides this unique flat spot on the rotor. I got lucky. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
All five spacer nuts backed off and remained captive between the spacer and rim. Perhaps I didn't torque them. Don't know. The word of caution here is there was ZERO indication the wheel was about to fall off until a slight steering wheel wobble during a right hander a mile earlier that went away after the curve. The wobble was faint but noticeable. At first thought low air pressure and the KM2 sidewall ribs lugs were in play. Then the wheel fell off... instantly. Just kept it straight and pulled off to the side of the road. The rotor left a nice scar on the asphalt. Zero damage to the D besides this unique flat spot on the rotor. I got lucky. :)
Holy crap! Glad you're ok Dude.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts