Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyway to lock the fan clutch on? I’m in need of doing it.

Or an alternate fan clutch that will fit a 3.9 v8

thanks

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
I haven't used a clutch fan in 20 years.
Remove the whole thing and install an electric fan.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
that of a gm will work, the bolts are a bit thicker thus you need to enlarge the holes on the fan and use different bolts.
locking it in place will make the fan very loud and more failure prone.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
factory calls for number ETC1260, four seasons shows it to be a heavy duty unit #46043, for a vee belt.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uh, ok.... anyway made it home 7 hours... the fan clutch was not the problem... my radiator is original, and can keep up with “normal” stuff that I do (including off roaring locally) but not with more extreme needs... (pulls on long grades or climbs) so it’s most likely partially clogged. (Like 100% most likely).

I did not do anything to the fan clutch for the drive home which was mostly downhill out of Windrock tn. I ran at in norm temps all the way home babying it on the grades.

so time for a new cooling system.. Robert d, electric fans are in my future, but we also dealt with a consequence of them this weekend with another truck and a failed alt diode which we rewired it to switched 12v power on a switch to get it home.
that trick will end up in mine as as well so at least I can cut the fans for water crossings like Portsmouth.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I would check your fan clutch anyway with the newspaper test.

You don't need to do anything crazy for water crossings with electric fans besides turn them off, like any other electric circuit.

Bearmach runs 15% off sales all the time and does an all copper 300tdi radiator, better than any aftermarket aluminum unit unless its massive

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s a v8 NAS....with the fan clutch issue.. it will still get changed in the meantime. I have 2 at home... they just were not with me on the trip

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
For some reason I swore you had a TDI . Well checking and replacement of the fan should help.

You can also flush the rad , it's a nice stopgap before replacement . I made whole long post about it and recently just started using the thermocure product by evaporust instead. Works as you drive and is more simple .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts