Defender Source Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the side repeaters are still non led you have one burnt out. That will will cause the opposite side to flash as power back feeds through the dash indicator.
... i have this. They seemed to worked fine with one repeater burnt out then week later got both sides flash with left turn signal. These wipac led turn signals are definitely temperamental. After initial install with wipac led adjustable flasher unit all working well. Week later no turn signals. Put old flasher back and they work but fast flash rate. Going to replace repeater and try new wipac flasher unit and check all grounds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shame wipac could not have done the job properly and provided belt and braces kit with warning light change, repeater leds and/or improved 4 way switch replacement to isolate left and right turn signal operation. Not well engineered wipac !!

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Did you see post 59?

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
I have just installed the Wipac kit along with their adjustable relay and my signals aren’t working at all. I have removed the dash bulb as well but nothing changed. I reinstalled an existing lamp at each corner and they worked perfectly. Should I try adding resistors, RDX relay, or both?

The LED’s are polarized, which means the need to be hooked up to pos/neg correctly.

Defenders are not.. so you have to figure out which is power and ground regardless of the wiring color. Use a meter.

My fronts were reversed on my 95, the rear were correct colors.

Make sure your hazard switch is also not stuck that will kill the blinkers too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you see post 59?
looking at thread on phone missed that.. Great explanation. Also spoke with wipac uk direct - Dave. Trying to troubleshoot with old flasher unit in is no good. So first job is get my new WFL7LED replaced as that is clearly faulty. Once turn signals live again then if still have problems with both left and right coming on pull the instrument panel light bulb, as mentioned elsewhere likely. If that fixes it then buy RDX kit... as mentioned on forum already. Pity they dont just include it in the led conversion kit in the first place. Strange thing is when i first put old flasher back in it worked correctly just flashed fast.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
looking at thread on phone missed that.. Great explanation. Also spoke with wipac uk direct - Dave. Trying to troubleshoot with old flasher unit in is no good. So first job is get my new WFL7LED replaced as that is clearly faulty. Once turn signals live again then if still have problems with both left and right coming on pull the instrument panel light bulb, as mentioned elsewhere likely. If that fixes it then buy RDX kit... as mentioned on forum already. Pity they dont just include it in the led conversion kit in the first place. Strange thing is when i first put old flasher back in it worked correctly just flashed fast.
Have had that happen as well and just installed 2 resistors to take the load and slow down the fast flash.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
You can buy NOVITA EP26 as a local replacement. Jeeps shops will have them as they are for early wranglers as well.

Got me back on the road when my Wipac Relay **** the bed last week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can buy NOVITA EP26 as a local replacement. Jeeps shops will have them as they are for early wranglers as well.

Got me back on the road when my Wipac Relay **** the bed last week.[/QUOTE]
Great tip but seems they dont ship to Canada.
Way cheaper than buying from uk or Canada. $36 can for tj led flasher from 4 wheel parts.

General tip.. Worth checking designed load rating as it seems relay can be issue with led only installs. Even though designed to be led flasher seems some designed to work with min 50mA http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/novita-flasher-0201004p.html#Questions

Im wondering if the load resistor option might be best fix and may make my supposed duff wipac unit work..

·
Super Moderator
13,479 Posts
RDX relay and either the RDX light replacement or a couple of diodes. The WIPAC relay does not work properly.

If you put in load resistors, you have lost the point of running low wattage LEDs.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts

Got me back on the road when my Wipac Relay **** the bed last week.
Great tip but seems they dont ship to Canada.
Way cheaper than buying from uk or Canada. $36 can for tj led flasher from 4 wheel parts.

General tip.. Worth checking designed load rating as it seems relay can be issue with led only installs. Even though designed to be led flasher seems some designed to work with min 50mA Novita Flasher | Canadian Tire

Im wondering if the load resistor option might be best fix and may make my supposed duff wipac unit work..[/QUOTE]

that novita unit is carried at many smaller shops, your local napa can order as they carry the brand.

It seems they are the primary supplier to most auto shops for relays

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
the 50ma rating is fine, the wipac units I have will at least require that between the 2 of them (per side) plus the resistance in the wiring and switches (stalk to splice forward/aft)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'll just jump on this thread to get sage advice. 1997 NAS D90. Single dash indicator bulb.

Leds installed on all turn signals, wipac relay installed. - all 4 flash at the same time - crap.

Installed load resistors on the rear 2: Left turn works ok, only the left side flash. Right turn, all 4 flash but the right side is much brighter. So is this a problem with the left or right resistor?. I honestly have no clue.

Update: LEFT SIDE LEFT SIDE - WOOHOO - Fixed it

·
Registered
308 Posts
Celebrated too early, now my dash trailer light is constantly on ?
Remove bulb from dash, call it a day?

·
Super Moderator
13,479 Posts
You want the RDX flasher relay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the instrument light diode fix but not installed it. Once i replaced burnt out side marker bulb so all bulbs working the 4way flasher syndrome went away and been reliable since. No load resistors added or other fix.

Good tips and range of issues/fixes on this thread. Cheers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alrighty - I'm going to hijack / revive an old thread because there seems to be a lot of knowledge / experience within. Here's my LED dilemma:

Set out on project to go full LED on the exterior of my 1990 D-90. Installed Truck-Lite headlights and replaced half-melted connector on one side. Bought the WiPac LED marker light set from RN, and installed the front parking lights, and rear tail / brake lights. All of that worked perfect with no problems ...

Then I set out to install all 4 LED turn signals ... and everything gets weird!
1) start at the left-rear, install LED light, and one "Smart Load Device" inside the little rear panel. after install light works perfectly, flashes at normal rate in sync with the front light (still incandescent at this point)
2) start work on the right-rear, install LED light, and one "Smart Load Device" - nothing will work in this location after install. front-right (still incandescent) will flash at normal rate if Smart Load Device is plugged in, and if unplug SLD - front light will flash at 2x rate.
3) move to front-left, and install LED light. now both left-side blinkers work - but they flash at almost 2x rate (with the SLD inline on that side)
4) move to front right, install LED light. now this blinker light just stays on constantly whenever the ignition is turned on (blinker stem in neutral position). nothing happens when blinker stem is selected to right - but when selected to left - the left-side front & rear will flash at roughly 2x - and there is some amount of "sympathetic blinking" of this right-front light. if doesn't really ever go off - it just subtly flashes from on to brighter-on (NOTE - this is happening with no light plugged in at right-rear. the set of 4 amber lights had one defective one with the white wire pulled out of its connector - I am waiting for RN to send me a replacement.)

After all-the-above - I have read and watched every post and video that I can find on the matter. i went back and removed the blinker indicator light from the dashboard - no changes - still the same awkward symptoms from above. From the reading I have done, I am preparing to get both an LED adjustable rate flasher unit, as well as the grounding strap posted earlier in this thread.

Can anyone shed any light on my weird problems?!? Any insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
RDX Earth Fix Kit

I encountered similar difficulties in converting a 1995 NAS D90 to LED lights. I could install a rear LED turn signal, but once I replace the second one, neither would work.

The issue is caused by the ancient electronics in the lighting system, which were design assuming a certain load on each leg of the turn signal wiring. This allowed them to pass the current through a single turn signal indicator lamp in the dashboard. The relatively large load of the old incandescent blues required enough current that the indicator lamp would be the shortest route to ground (earth), and so the indicator lamp on the dash would ignite, and the correct tail light would light up.

Once I switched to LED, the indicator lamp had a higher resistance than the LED taillights, and so current would not flow through the dash lamp and the circuit was never closed leading to the lights staying off.

The solution for this is to get an RDX Earth Fix Kit:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232280619868

It replaces the dashboard lamp with a small LED circuit that ensures that current flows the right way depending on the state of the turn signal.

This resolved the problem for me, and I've been enjoying my full LED lighting system for the past year or so.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts