Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good experience with a brand and model LED headlights any with the halo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Haven’t used halo lights but went to LED and this was pretty turnkey. I know very little so if I can do it, I think anyone can. A7FC7056-9C62-4DB1-99AF-F24A7121644B_1563664098236.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I have trucklites on both defenders, nice and not too pricey. It really pays to adjust them correctly though.

Some don’t like them though.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Trucklites here for the past 5 years. Love them. IMO, halo lights are beyond ridiculous, but then I wear a Stetson and Birkenstocks, so I'm not one to ask for aesthetic advice.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I'm running these on my RRC. The halo feature is spliced into the parking lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0781M2LC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love them and plan on ordering another set for my LWB
I'm always suspicious of any manufacturer that claims their headlights are "DOT approved". There's no such thing. The Department of Transportation issues standards that street-legal products must meet; in this case FMVSS-108. But it does not test individual products, and does not "approve" anything.

In other words, any vendor that claims their headlight is "DOT approved" is giving you a line of BS. Take that for what you will, but it makes me reluctant to take anything else they claim at face value.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I have the JW Speakers and it’s the best upgrade...worth every penny. Why do you want Halo?
Personally I think they look stupid on any car. My JW Speakers look bitchin in or off and don’t need that look for any reason. Just my 2 cents. It’s your money your choice.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
You're in Ohio. If you drive your truck in snow, you'll want to get LED with heating elements. The LED's don't generate enough heat and snow just accumulates. On-coming drivers will still (barely) see you, but you'll have no light on the road in front of you.

View attachment 423504
Chris, is that pic from this past winter snow trip?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Chris, is that pic from this past winter snow trip?
Yeah, buddy!
We had couple winter trips, this one near Lake Tahoe last year. Fun trip. You should come up for one of these. But t’was white knuckles coming back - after dark, snow was coming down fast, trail was covered and i only had like 10’ visibility once the lights were covered.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm always suspicious of any manufacturer that claims their headlights are "DOT approved". There's no such thing. The Department of Transportation issues standards that street-legal products must meet; in this case FMVSS-108. But it does not test individual products, and does not "approve" anything.

In other words, any vendor that claims their headlight is "DOT approved" is giving you a line of BS. Take that for what you will, but it makes me reluctant to take anything else they claim at face value.

x2 on these. I have them on mine, just didn't hook up the halo part -I am not a big fan of the halo either. I installed them because they draw less current so it is easier on the switch and they don't dim when my heater blower is running.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Yeah, buddy!
We had couple winter trips, this one near Lake Tahoe last year. Fun trip. You should come up for one of these. But t’was white knuckles coming back - after dark, snow was coming down fast, trail was covered and i only had like 10’ visibility once the lights were covered.
Yeah, couldn’t make the last one but hope to make the next one! Man, I saw how deep the snow was...crazy!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
You're in Ohio. If you drive your truck in snow, you'll want to get LED with heating elements. The LED's don't generate enough heat and snow just accumulates. On-coming drivers will still (barely) see you, but you'll have no light on the road in front of you.

View attachment 423504

I think I would freeze to death in weather this cold if I had to rely on my heater to keep me warm.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Chris is correct - LED in WET winter conditions need heated elements (really cold and dry is not an issue)

Vision X for the halo lights and trucklights for the heated element version (we sell both)

Vision X is the only true DOT compliant mfr for the halo lights.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I've used JW Speakers on both our Rubicon and on the Defender for the past 4 years. The latest upgrade on the D110 are the Model 8700 Evo 2 dual-burn lights with the integrated heating elements. They're much brighter on high beam and they never ice over.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've used JW Speakers on both our Rubicon and on the Defender for the past 4 years. The latest upgrade on the D110 are the Model 8700 Evo 2 dual-burn lights with the integrated heating elements. They're much brighter on high beam and they never ice over.
Are JW Speakers actually headlights? and not speakers?

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I have trucklites on both defenders, nice and not too pricey. It really pays to adjust them correctly though.

I ended up researching all of the options and went this route The “Rigid” variant is trucklite and usually cheaper.

$470 on amazon. I would recommend installing a relay either way, I don’t know the draw on the heating elements but its recommended whatever road you choose.

The Halo lights I have seen have funky relay boxes and just look shoddy.

The trucklights have high quality housings and are solid, mind have been bulletproof for the last few years and the cutoff pattern means no blinding incoming traffic. I haven’t been flashed yet…

·
Registered
58 Posts

I read the instructions on how to adjust them but don't see the adjustment screw on mine. Do they all have adjustability?

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I read the instructions on how to adjust them but don't see the adjustment screw on mine. Do they all have adjustability?
This is a decent explanation

It’s possible you have non-standard rings, since 7” headlamps are so ubiquitous maybe someone threw in an aftermarket bowl. Essentially you adjust them left and right and up and down utilizing the screw cutouts present on the front trim. loosen one and tighten the opposite. If the ring isn’t holding the headlamp fast then you will have a loose lamp that will shake.

Basically the ring holds tight to the light and you adjust the outer ring for position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts