Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
689 Posts
Have you checked the level on your clutch fluid? If low...pull the slave cylinder out and see if it's puking out the piston seal into your bell housing. While it's out stick a mirror-on-a-stick in the slave hole and inspect the rear main seal.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Have you checked the level on your clutch fluid? If low...pull the slave cylinder out and see if it's puking out the piston seal into your bell housing. While it's out stick a mirror-on-a-stick in the slave hole and inspect the rear main seal.
The clutch feels fine but I will check the level in the master cylinder when I do the inlet gasket. The slave doesn't leak. It has residual oil on it but it is 100% engine oil.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If the slave leaks, it will leak inside the bell housing, then present itself out of the centerline hole in the flywheel housing.
What's a quick way to check if the slave is leaking? Just check clutch fluid and see if it's low? I assume if the clutch fluid is at the appropriate level the slave can't be leaking

· Premium Member
937 Posts
What's a quick way to check if the slave is leaking? Just check clutch fluid and see if it's low? I assume if the clutch fluid is at the appropriate level the slave can't be leaking
Yes, check master cyl reservoir level.

I don't think this is your problem thought. Oil is dripping from both sides of your flywheel housing. If it was the slave, you would see it dripping out of the threaded centerline hole in the flywheel housing.

Always a good idea to check fluid levels though.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes, check master cyl reservoir level.

I don't think this is your problem thought. Oil is dripping from both sides of your flywheel housing. If it was the slave, you would see it dripping out of the threaded centerline hole in the flywheel housing.

Always a good idea to check fluid levels though.
Yeah, agree. I have oil dye ready to go and will be doing it this weekend along with the inlet gasket. Is oil dripping from both sides of the flywheel housing consistent with a leak from up above or something more sinister like a RMS?

· Premium Member
937 Posts
IMO, not likely from the rear main seal. This would present itself from the centerline flywheel housing hole. And the pictures I've seen I see no drop like I do from areas around the housing. You could always put the wading plug (bolt) in the hole and plug it up, then drive a few days on it just to be sure. Remove after a few days and see what comes out - hopefully nothing. Don't think that's necessary though.

IIRC, you'll disconnect the turbo oil supply and drain lines when you replace the manifold gasket. Assume you have those gaskets along with the copper washers for the oil supply line to the turbo to replace when you reassemble.

Could be a leak from the sump, vacuum pump, turbo oil drain or supply lines, anywhere around the engine and then getting blown back while you're driving, which confuses everything. Trust in the die. Excited to see the results. Clean clean clean before hand!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
IMO, not likely from the rear main seal. This would present itself from the centerline flywheel housing hole. And the pictures I've seen I see no drop like I do from areas around the housing. You could always put the wading plug (bolt) in the hole and plug it up, then drive a few days on it just to be sure. Remove after a few days and see what comes out - hopefully nothing. Don't think that's necessary though.

IIRC, you'll disconnect the turbo oil supply and drain lines when you replace the manifold gasket. Assume you have those gaskets along with the copper washers for the oil supply line to the turbo to replace when you reassemble.

Could be a leak from the sump, vacuum pump, turbo oil drain or supply lines, anywhere around the engine and then getting blown back while you're driving, which confuses everything. Trust in the die. Excited to see the results. Clean clean clean before hand!
I'll post the results and let you know what I find.

This weekend I'll be replacing the gasket (just remove the inlet and unbolt the exhaust manifold -- not planning on touching anything with the turbos), and replace the rocker gasket, which I suspect might be contributing to the leak.

Any thoughts on that "missing bolt" at the front of the engine I posted a few days ago? Should that have a bolt in there?

· Premium Member
937 Posts

This weekend I'll be replacing the gasket (just remove the inlet and unbolt the exhaust manifold -- not planning on touching anything with the turbos), and replace the rocker gasket, which I suspect might be contributing to the leak.

Any thoughts on that "missing bolt" at the front of the engine I posted a few days ago? Should that have a bolt in there?
sent you a PM

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Yup, that's the one. I'm just writing shorthand. It's the combined inlet/exhaust manifold gasket.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts