manifold, other than the obvious cooler
engine bay ?

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts

·
Birthday Committee Team
2,355 Posts
My 94 with supercharger has headers with blanket wrapping from summit and engine bay really reduce temp. For me I will install blanket wrapping to all V8 rovers I owned. :)

Just curious, anyone know if wrapping the exhaust would reduce temps too?

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
lol.... good link. im trying it:)
Ebay has it for $45 shipped with the little ss ties.

I used the stuff from Vatozone and it was $50 with no ties.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1994 D90 ST
883 Posts
I had both the headers in my corvette and rover jet hot coated. I am pleased with the job. I am getting a little rust on both after about 5 years, but besides that they seem to hold up well and definitely release the bay temp on both vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
I had both the headers in my corvette and rover jet hot coated. I am pleased with the job. I am getting a little rust on both after about 5 years, but besides that they seem to hold up well and definitely release the bay temp on both vehicles.

where are you seeing rust on them? Is it where the coating has been scratched off or bubbling from underneath?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
5 years on the jet hot is a big win.
Cheapo chrome headers would have "blued" before you got out of your driveway and high heat header paint is an ongoing maintenance issue. (I went through a white header phase a long time ago - Fail.)

I am still not convinced that wrapping headers doesn't accelerate their deterioration, though.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Garth wrote I am still not convinced that wrapping headers doesn't accelerate their deterioration, though.

I with Garth on that one. Buck may know of Ed Hansen (great exhaust guy) in Spring Valley. He recommended NOT to wrap the manifolds due to accelerated deterioration. I did wrap the before and aft the converter on the Y pipe to try to keep the temperature down in the cab as it gets way hot on the feet in the summer.

Not really answering the question on engine bay temps as I did not take a before and after temp check on the engine bay prior to instaling the ceramic coated header install.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Garth wrote I am still not convinced that wrapping headers doesn't accelerate their deterioration, though.

I with Garth on that one. Buck may know of Ed Hansen (great exhaust guy) in Spring Valley. He recommended NOT to wrap the manifolds due to accelerated deterioration. I did wrap the before and aft the converter on the Y pipe to try to keep the temperature down in the cab as it gets way hot on the feet in the summer.

Not really answering the question on engine bay temps as I did not take a before and after temp check on the engine bay prior to instaling the ceramic coated header install.
It may or sure, and it may not. I have heard it may lead to cracking, and heard that it may not. Nobody knows for sure. The only thing that is for sure in this life is that us driving these trucks is directly killing polar bears.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
I'm sorry buck, I have to admit i accidentally did hit a polar bear up by Palomar in the 90. Not pretty. The damn things wait on the side of the road and just WHAAMMMOOO jump right out in front of you.

·
Premium Member
1994 D90 ST
883 Posts
where are you seeing rust on them? Is it where the coating has been scratched off or bubbling from underneath?
On the vette headers it is on the top of where the 4 pipes come into the collector. They are sidepipes and that part is exposed to the elements and has like a crevice where the two pipes come together.

On the rover it is more where the header bolts go through the into the head itself. Right around there they are bubbling up some with some rust. It may be other places, but that is the only place that it is readily viewable.

B

21 - 34 of 34 Posts