Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have had your manifolds coated? Any noticeable gains etc?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
i had my motorcylcle exhaust jet coated 5 years ago. still looks good afte daily use.
as for performance-there is no way you could tell. but it sure looks good.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
It will add 52 hp. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I had a exhaust header for my 2.25 petrol ceramic coated by Jet Hot Coating about 17 years ago. I did it to prevent rust though. And to hopefully keep a little heat away from my alternator and starter.
It's rusted some so I guess I could send it back to be redone, to see how their lifetime warranty is.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have elaborated, not performance in terms of HP but if it actually reduces temperatures.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I should have elaborated, not performance in terms of HP but if it actually reduces temperatures.
Just curious, anyone know if wrapping the exhaust would reduce temps too?

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Just curious, anyone know if wrapping the exhaust would reduce temps too?
I did and it does help for sure. I don't know if it lowers engine temps at all, but air temps around the exaust drop noticably.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I wrapped my headers in my old turbo miata, and it helped a great deal. I'm sure the same would be true for the Defender.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Put an EGT probe in the tailpipe and tell me what you see then
Ok. Why? Were talking about headers and engine bay temps.

On a related note, bra sizes are increasing in China as diet improves due to an emerging middle class.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
On a related note, bra sizes are increasing in China as diet improves due to an emerging middle class.
As an Asian-American, I can safely say: "they are still a long ways away from the C cup." Hehe

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
How many of you have had your manifolds coated? Any noticeable gains etc?
I had a exhaust header for my 2.25 petrol ceramic coated by Jet Hot Coating about 17 years ago. I did it to prevent rust though. And to hopefully keep a little heat away from my alternator and starter.
It's rusted some so I guess I could send it back to be redone, to see how their lifetime warranty is.
I wrapped my headers in my old turbo miata, and it helped a great deal. I'm sure the same would be true for the Defender.
The guy asked about wrapping the exhaust, did you assume he was talking about wrapping the cast iron manifolds?
No, why would we be talking about that in this thread? We are all clearly talking about wrapping the tail-pipe, to lower the temperatures behind your car as you drive. Nobody cares about lower temperatures in the engine bay.

Although, I did continue mine further back to keep the exaust temps from warping my skid plate. Of course, I didn't need to do that because diesels don't generate any heat. Especially not enough to ever warp plastic.

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
My Tdi Exhaust gets hotter then an Asian woman with a D-cup especially under my feet in the summer. I am going to try the wrap..

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sending them to Jet Hot, they have a facility here in North Carolina.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
My Tdi Exhaust gets hotter then an Asian woman with a D-cup especially under my feet in the summer. I am going to try the wrap..
No it doesn't. You can lick it while at speed on the freeway. :tounge

That said, you will find that the wrap makes a big difference in temps near the exaust.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts