Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any opinions or data here? I've never seen a list of VINs for Japan/Saudi trucks, so it's really difficult to track down sales and they are few and far between anyway. If you had two identical 1997s and the NAS truck is worth $65,000, how much would a Japan/Saudi truck be worth?

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
worth more than an equivalent condition ROW truck but less than a NAS. Primarily due to the CO/NY/CA markets and the NAS demand

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
The problem is JAP owners never take less. They always list these trucks for the same amount as an NAS and rarely divulge it’s a JAP truck.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I’d buy Jap spec all day at a discount vs NAS. It’s essentially the same except for some light sockets or some ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Under 3 years now until we can import ones outside the VIN range. Might be able to find a good deal on one over there now and store it until you can bring it over. Besides the NAS ones there are 50th versions that are basically identical.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Here’s a Japan spec that was listed for $93,950 and marked as sold. The dealer disclosed that it’s Japan spec too. So apparently people are willing to pay as much as NAS.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Too bad the 97 NAS SWs originally imported here didn’t get the same fabric seating (same Exmoor in 95 SWs?). The vinyl gets toast and a bit uncomfortable mid summer around Massachusetts.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's funny because in some respects, I've always thought the Jap/Saudi spec trucks could be seen as more desirable than true NAS simply because of their story, build dates and volume. They are truly the last run of would-be NAS trucks, were deemed non-US compliant and at the last minute sent to other markets. They are a niche within a niche within a niche of special trucks. The two big issues with these (as others have pointed out) are 1.) sellers not disclosing it or not even knowing it and 2.) the odometers being replaced so you have a TMU truck quite often. But in terms of collectible-desires, it has always surprised me they arent viewed more "special" than the US NAS trucks because of the quirky history.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
It's funny because in some respects, I've always thought the Jap/Saudi spec trucks could be seen as more desirable than true NAS simply because of their story, build dates and volume. They are truly the last run of would-be NAS trucks, were deemed non-US compliant and at the last minute sent to other markets. They are a niche within a niche within a niche of special trucks.
I would throw In the ‘92 90SV, only 90 made. Add the ‘98 Defender 50th, which were probaby the last- last run of NAS trucks. Niches in Niches indeed.

Not Defenders, but I am one of the few who see the 4 Longitude Expedition trucks as actually rarer than CT’s but nobody knows about the “Forgotten Expedition”

Japan/Saudi trucks are hurt by name only. I would rock either, but for investment the market picks NAS

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
I would throw In the ‘92 90SV, only 90 made. Add the ‘98 Defender 50th, which were probaby the last- last run of NAS trucks. Niches in Niches indeed.

Not Defenders, but I am one of the few who see the 4 Longitude Expedition trucks as actually rarer than CT’s but nobody knows about the “Forgotten Expedition”

Japan/Saudi trucks are hurt by name only. I would rock either, but for investment the market picks NAS
Longitude Expedition? What are you doing marketing for Shayne? Those turds will never be worth anything.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Shayne probably is not selling, when is the last time the downunder pack rat sold anything? The last one I saw for sale (#4) was at 56k. One would think, or at least I would, that a grand total of 4 trucks that drove around the globe with full JLR support would make them pretty unique.

Any truck is only worth what a buyer will pay, but there is a ass for every seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts