Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isuzu 4BD1 3.9 Liter diesel motor complete with matched* LT95A 4 speed gearbox

These were purchased from the Australian army and were the same motor and gearbox that were fitted to the legendary and un destructible Australian Land Rover Perentie.* The army kept spare rebuilt motors and gearboxes on hand. These will bolt easily into any defender and parts are readily available in the US.*
The LT95 "A" was a strengthened version of the standard LT95* specially made for the Australian Army requirements.* They had taper roller bearing in the intermediate shaft.*
You can easily turbo these engines to increase performance.*
They are in crates and can easily be shipped and we can assist with shipping and loading. Located in Hutto TX just north of Austin
Price is $4750*

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Can you re-post some pictures as it looks like the other has disappeared, you got more than one?

·
Registered
1988 Defender 110 - FFR
286 Posts
Does anyone know, are parts for these available in the US?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Was used in marine applications and I believe Chevy/GMC box trucks from the early 90s used this and a turbocharged version of this engine.

Parts availability should be good through Isuzu dealer network. My vote would be yes for parts availability

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2018 08:05 AM ------

parts are readily available in the US directly from Isuzu or many other parts suppliers. These motors are fitted to may Isuzu trucks sold ion the US
jinx

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I have a 4BD1T and LT95A in my 110. I have found parts availablity to be a non-issue. Add a turbo to that 4BD1 and you'll happy.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Mine is turbo'd. I have not driven an NA 3.9L.

My previous truck was a Tithonus with a Disco 200Tdi/LT77/1.2TC which was moderately tuned.

My 3.9L is quick. I only drove it on the mainland for about 3 months before moving to Oahu, where I rarely have the chance to go above 70. 72 mph is about the max speed for the LT95, at least for a prolonged time. And that's at almost WOT. For Oahu, the LT95 4BD1T is a perfect combination.

While the 3.9L is used in the NPR box truck, it's been slightly varied to fit in the Rover. Oil pan, fuel filter arrangement, oil filter housing, etc. The 3.9L is a beast, and can be tuned to some crazy numbers.

I was a little nervous moving to an Isuzu powered Land Rover because I had gotten pretty quick with finding the right part number and jumping on LRDirect and having my part in about 3-4 days. Preventative maintenance and a slight amount of parts hoarding kept me running just like a Honda. I've found that the 3.9L is the same, just using a different parts manual, and the folks at AULRO do a great job at posting the parts manual (REMLR.com). I haven't had to get anything yet besides fuel and oil filters, but am trying to source a few fuel pipes that are going to be a problem soon. The parts manual has worked like a champ. I have heard of folks walking into a GM dealer and getting Isuzu parts, but so far, I've just used the internet.

I don't see any reason to swap a 200Tdi for an Isuzu unless the 200Tdi is showing signs of reaching end of life. I bought my 200Tdi off Richard Crouch and got a good motor. I sent off the oil for analysis and it came back with good numbers compared to other's who have posted their analysis results here. That gave me good piece of mind. The 200Tdi still gives you a lot of options. Military LT77 with a lower 1st and 2nd gear mated to a 1.2TC, LT77 to a 1.4TC, R380 Stumpy to a 1.4TC, all of which are bolt in and seem to be readily available with good forum support.

Before I return to the mainland, I will be exploring new transmission options. I think the best option will be an adapter plate to go to an NV4500. Other options are: LT85 (5 speed, old, noisy), R380 (motor will eventually grenade this, don't tell KLR this-they won't listen and the KLR bellhousing to make this work is made out of gold and they want your old one in return), MSA (requires a lot of custom parts to make it work from a guy downunder), or an overdrive unit off the PTO. I think that this is the real achilles heal of the 4BD1(T), the tranny that goes behind it.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
How do these compare speed and acceleration wise to the 200tdi?
I have one of each currently. Power above 2000 rpm is very close. Below 2000 rpm, the Isuzu is much stronger. Add a turbo and it is much more powerful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts