Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What say you? I'm in the middle of it, and it can only stay apart for so long before my lovely bride starts asking lots of question.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
Personally I'd run it and use one shot instead of oil and corteco swivel seals . I'm cheap

That upper railco bush needs to be replaced tho , it's fucked

·
Premium Member
1991 Defender 110 Beach Runner 2 Door 200tdi
363 Posts
These look way better than mine and I don’t have any trouble. One shot it.

2x on replacing the bushing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Had similar, just had a set slotted to correct castor, dropped one, got a dent in it, filed the burred edeges back and filled it with metal mend in a tube, sanded flat, still going strong after 8 years, and its oil filled too.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
No issue with one shot. Barely an issue with oil if at all.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If I use one shot - do I need the intermediate seal in the stub axle. The one behind the bronze bushing?

Seems like it wouldn't be necessary. asking for a friend

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
If I use one shot - do I need the intermediate seal in the stub axle. The one behind the bronze bushing?

Seems like it wouldn't be necessary. asking for a friend
Yes you do. You want to keep the gear oil (diff) separate from the swivel.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wouldnt the seal in the inboard side of the swivel keep diff oil out of the swivel? How does diff oil get through the stub axle? Mostly because, of the thousands of seals I have - I don't have this one. I'd like someone to tell me it's okay . . .

But if its not . . .

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay - well one thing leads to another - felt like everything should be cleaned and repainted, and now it's all back together but there is ZERO float on the half shaft. I can just see the groove for the circlip, but I cannot get it back on. I am certain that it is important, and I am also concerned that it won't move even a little bit in and out.

Am I missing something easy? And yes the races are fully seated on the hub, and the oil seal is 4 mm below the lip of the hub.

·
Super Moderator
13,911 Posts
Okay - well one thing leads to another - felt like everything should be cleaned and repainted, and now it's all back together but there is ZERO float on the half shaft. I can just see the groove for the circlip, but I cannot get it back on. I am certain that it is important, and I am also concerned that it won't move even a little bit in and out.

Am I missing something easy? And yes the races are fully seated on the hub, and the oil seal is 4 mm below the lip of the hub.
The CV is not properly seated within the stub axle (spindle). If it won't come free, you will need to pull the spindle. It is critical to ensure it is seated fully and keep it pulled out while installing the hub and drive flange.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So get back to here, take the stub axle off and keep fiddling with it until the CV is fully seated. I thought it was since the ball turned back and forth fine full range of motion. So far this has been fun. Alright back at it!! Drivers side gonna be easy

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
It's not hard. It will literally take 5 minutes.

Take those six bolts out of the face of the stub axle, remove it with the CV and half shaft, using a mallet hit the back of the CV until it fully seats into the back of the stub axle, put on a new gasket for the back of the stub axle, reinsert the entire assembly and bolt it back up.

Alternatively you could get really lucky by inserting one of the m10 drive hub bolts into the end of the CV splined drive end. Using a slide hammer and vise grips you may also be able to seat the CV without removing anything.

I can see a dark ring around the sealing land for the hub seal on the stub axle. You should not be able to feel anything with a fingertip or fingernail. You can use some red scotch brite to knock down any irregularities. If you can't it may leak and you may want to replace that stub axle.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
Great ! Now blue thread lock the adapter lug nuts and the drive flange bolts and you are gtg.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel like I just won a UFC title fight. And then I see another post, “I did a frame off restoration in my garage last night” and I feel a little less . . .

either way, VICTORY.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts