Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm rebuilding my d-90 after if was rolled (not a huge accident but enough to warrant a good look at the integrity and straightness of the frame).
I have measured the distance from a few different points on the car, and have noticed that the two sides don't match up perfectly (we're talking a difference of 1/4"- 1/3" between the two sides when I measure from the rear frame member to the body support outrigger on eac side of the vehicle).
I can't tell if its just the body support outrigger that's slightly out(not a problem) or if it is the whole frame(hopefully not).

Does anyone know if this small difference in measurement will cause a big problem when it's all back together? will it not drive right?
Let me know if I'm overreacting.

thanks
:confused

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
A soft rollover is VERY unlikely to have bent the frame. These things a re pretty beefy. If the frame was not directly impacted in some way, you are fine.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but...

a soft rolloever, yes.
something else i forgot to mention was that it was very difficult to remove the crossmember (maybe bent out of shape). It's like it had been altered in some way making me think that it was a sign that other problems exist.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Which crossmember?

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
It is not uncommon for that to be very difficult to drop. I had to soak overnight in grease to tear mine out. If you are very worried, take $50 and drive the truck down to a good body shop and have them hook up the lasers. I really doubt the frame is tweaked.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
The tolerances were pretty lose on the frame when it was made. I'd have the axle alignment checked front to rear. Any ripples on the chassis frame are cause for alarm.
The chassis rails may need to be spread with a hydraulic ram to get the gearbox X member to drop out. A damn good beating with a really big hammer is the other way of doing it but that method isn't in the repair manual;)

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Before you start worrying too much, make sure the tubular outriggers are square (run perpindicular to) with the chassis. There may be no cause for alarm if one of the outriggers is moved. And, if one is moved, your measurements don't have any value until you straighten it back up. Believe it or not, these chassis are made of THIN metal, and are easy to tweak. The LR manual says that most measurements should be within a tolerance of 4-7mm, some as small as 2, others greater than 7. Hell, when they glavanize chassiss, they probably warp that much. Good luck.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
Exactly... these things are not straight from the factory.:cuss When I installed the crossmember in my brand new galv. frame:naughty I had to spread it with a hydralic ram about 1/4" to get it in place. It was a real bitch....

Randy:pimp

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
I used a high lift to spread mine!:grin

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
allright, I guess there's not much reason for me to be alarmed.

thanks everyone.

(i wonder if they'll ever make a straight frame?)

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I used a hi-lift and 2 2x4's to spread my chassis to get the crossmember in. Look, if your chassis is tweaked, and your body panels don't fit correctly, don't worry about it; it is probably still better than most defenders that leave the production line:grin .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts