Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I have a 300 TDI 1984 LHD Defender 110. I am running 33/12.5/15's and there is a little play in the steering wheel. It looks like it is coming from the steering gearbox.
Is it possible to get rid of the play completely by tightening the steering gearbox?

Thanks,
Sef

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
The steering can be basically without play. The tires themselves have play.

- Steering box. Assuming it is not worn out, it can be adjusted to zero play. Make sure it is centered when driving forward first. Sometimes people move the steering wheel to the wrong location. Then follow the manual to adjust.

- Other things to check. Hub bearing preload, swivel preload, panhard rod bushings and bolts, tie rod ends, steering shaft u-joints and rubber joint.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Worn suspension bushings can cause movement that can be interpreted as steering play, but John B's advice in post 2 covers everything else I could think of.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
Oh and steering box bolts.

Reactions: rdavisinva

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much.The play is definitely coming from the steering box. Will adjust it and report back

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
The steering box play can be adjusted a little but usually is an indication of a worn box. Replacement Steering boxes are cheap for what they do and safety they provide.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
We have a new RHD steering box we could part with for the right money, not cheap, but its new.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Just looked at post 1, you need a LHD.
Never-mind.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
What wears out is the Thingamajig that rides on the screw and moves the vertical shaft. These are usually not replaced when you buy a reconditioned steering box cz the part itself costs more than the whole unit. What you get with a recon box is one that has a pretty good thingamajig and they adjust the thing so that there's not much slop. Sooner or later tho it's gonna get wiggly. The adjuster on top only does so much...it gets to a point that the box won't return to center cz the adjuster is run down so much it binds up the shaft.
Best bet is to replace the one you have with a rebuilt one. and scrounge for a couple known-good take outs and hoard them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anybody point me to where I can find a new/reconditioned steering box that would be compatible for LHD 300TDI?

I already had a hell of a time with the hoses not being compatible with the existing one I had.

Thank you for all of the valuable input and info.

Thanks,
Sef

·
Premium Member
13,749 Posts
Your engine has nothing to do with the steering box. Any box from a US model Range Rover Classic 87-95 or Discovery 1 94-99 are the same steering box. The only difference between these box's and yours are the drop arms on the 1990 up trucks do not have the troublesome ball joint built into the drop arm. A drop arm puller will allow you to swap yours for one of the hundreds of thousands of these boxes floating around the US. There should be zero play in your steering. The system is very simple and anyone can repair/replace any/all of the components in a matter of hours.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
Have you tried to adjust it yet?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

Yes, it is adjusted and it has almost zero play. But it is still leaking. I need to find and invest in a new steering box. But thank you for all of the valuable guidance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh just read Uncle Douglas' post. Let me check to see if I can get it repaired.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
You never mentioned leaking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, I realized now that I didn't. It comes from the top. I guess it is time to open it and look into everything inside. I am hoping it is just a simple matter of resealing and tightening.

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
Come from the top? If is from the adjuster nut and Allen maybe just some arp thread sealant will fix it up ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I am going to the shop tomorrow. Unfortunately I live in a small apartment and have no tools. Have to go to my buddy's shop. I will hopefully report good news in a few days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts