Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Defenders!

My real name is Graeme and I am Captain of the 130 here at A2AExpedition. I am driving around the world in my South African 2003 Defender 130 TD5 with my equally South African wife, aka 'The Boss' and my two kids aged 10 and 16. Currently we are in Seattle waiting for our Canadian visas before we head to Alaska just in time for winter. I look forward to getting to know you guys, birds of a feather.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Good luck in your travel...I just did the drive your heading into! It's getting colder at night and there are several road repaving projects going on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck in your travel...I just did the drive your heading into! It's getting colder at night and there are several road repaving projects going on.
Thanks Bill, I must remember to change the glow plugs, the Landy already only starts on the second crank, and she is not a fan of the cold. Neither is my wife :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm near Seattle, welcome!...is that truck FOR SALE by any chance?
No way Jose! She is my pride and joy (and a 2003 model so not compliant with that silly 25 year rule). :thumb: Thanks for the welcome, we have become short term Seattle residents while waiting for the Canadian visas, it is a wonderful state.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
No way Jose! She is my pride and joy (and a 2003 model so not compliant with that silly 25 year rule). :thumb: Thanks for the welcome, we have become short term Seattle residents while waiting for the Canadian visas, it is a wonderful state.
Go to Elliotts for dinner one evening if you're a seafood fan. Good food and good prices!!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to Elliotts for dinner one evening if you're a seafood fan. Good food and good prices!!
As full time overlanders we don't really have the budget for restaurants, especially because my son is 16 anf 6 foot and eats like an elephant. I am looking for a good old English fish n chips shop though...

·
Super Moderator
13,007 Posts
Not sure your planned route north, but I could give some suggestions. Lots of options and never enough time but some of the out of the way choices are much nicer than the main routes.

This would be my choice up: https://goo.gl/maps/n2Nlz and you could take a different way back. Super dry in western BC this year, so best to save that for later, IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where in Seattle are you staying? When I lived there some of my favorite places to hang out were the Ballard Locks, Gas Works park, and Golden Gardens. Walking around green lake is nice as well.

I must have missed you as you drove North, but if you find your way back in Northern California, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and have plenty of room for you to stay.

-Jeff
Hi Jeff. We are staying near Redmond, unfortunately we did not make it to California on the way up, we entered in Brownville, Texas. We will probably head through California when we come back from Canada. Maybe then we can take you up on the invitation. Sounds like a great place to hang out.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
For anyone considering putting Graeme and family up, I can vouch for them. They stayed at our house for a week while we were in Bend and took great care of it. They are great house-sitters and very nice people!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure your planned route north, but I could give some suggestions. Lots of options and never enough time but some of the out of the way choices are much nicer than the main routes.

This would be my choice up: https://goo.gl/maps/n2Nlz and you could take a different way back. Super dry in western BC this year, so best to save that for later, IMO.
That looks like a good route Red90. We have to get our butts up to Alaska asap, too much good weather has been wasted waiting for the Canadian visas. I will share this map with Luisa, my wife and navigator.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2015 01:34 PM ------

For anyone considering putting Graeme and family up, I can vouch for them. They stayed at our house for a week while we were in Bend and took great care of it. They are great house-sitters and very nice people!
Thanks Chris, you have a lovely home.

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
While up in AK be sure and visit the kenai peninsula and especially Homer and Soldotna.

Het jy 'n lekker tyd

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
As full time overlanders we don't really have the budget for restaurants, especially because my son is 16 anf 6 foot and eats like an elephant. I am looking for a good old English fish n chips shop though...
I have one of those too...I never did find a good fish and chips place. IOf you work back through Texas I'm just north of San Antonio...

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Where in Seattle are you staying? When I lived there some of my favorite places to hang out were the Ballard Locks, Gas Works park, and Golden Gardens. Walking around green lake is nice as well.

I must have missed you as you drove North, but if you find your way back in Northern California, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and have plenty of room for you to stay.

-Jeff
Careful what you wish for… They come in like sheep and leave like lions.

(kidding of course - fantastic folks and we tremendously enjoyed having them stay)

FWIW - Graeme is published and the book is well worth a read!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts