Defender Source Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
There was a guy on Pirate4x4 with that issue. Ended up making a cooler for it IIRC. Was using it for Ultra 4 or KOH

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
A transfer case cooler? Either he had a turbine engine powered Rover or he was the lord of over engineering. I like the extra fluid idea but a Xfer case cooler?

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
There was a guy on Pirate4x4 with that issue. Ended up making a cooler for it IIRC. Was using it for Ultra 4 or KOH
If you are referring to Bucky, I believe he found that his failures were due to oil feed problems to the center diff at high speeds. He has made fairly serious changes to the case to allow spinning tires during jumps at 100 mph....

If I read correctly, he runs common oil between the gearbox and transfer case.

I blew up my LT 230 at KOH and it took me out. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
It was a race buggy and had a Ashcroft ATB center and self destructed due high speed and high horse power…

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Bump on this...decided to do a very small run to test the waters (6 total). I essentially left the side port "blank" as shown above in post #35, so that if one desires it can be tapped for a sender unit of choice.

Working on pricing now, but contact me at [email protected] and we can chat and I'll start queuing folks up. If response is strong, I'll go back for a larger quantity - so for now call it "first come, first served" with the 6 units.

·
Administrator
11,710 Posts
1.6 transfer case and 4.7s in the diffs = 6800 rpm on the input @75mph - so a tad more than your average defender speed.

I don't think it's about degrading the oil, because that's all frequent changes would protect you from. This is about a larger volume of oil keeping the transfer case temperatures lower than it would operate at with a smaller volume of oil. See above for why I am interested in keeping the temps down.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Any left? Price?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts