Defender Source Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
I put one of the global roamers ones on my D2 because of the under drive…installed the others for the bling factor

·
Premium Member
13,460 Posts
I put one of the global roamers ones on my D2 because of the under drive…installed the others for the bling factor
somehow that bling comment conjured up a mental image of you in a wife beater T shirt and gold chains.

Scary stuff !

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
We manufacture oil pans and have had castings leak. The true fix is sending them to a place to go through a vacuum resin seal process where the porosity is filled to stop the oil leaks. To seal the bolts, Lav could have an O-ring groove machined into the fancy T-case sump and use a flange bolt with O-ring to get a full seal. It could also be done via a groove on the bolt side which is more difficult, but easier to sustain.
Like this idea of Robert's a lot. I am in if it can be designed to stop the typical oil leaks with better seals.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Couple of things on the RomerDrive unit.
I installed one on my LT230Q, it now holds a solid 3 quarts of gear oil.
I'm over 60 now and the last time I R&R'd the TC on my chest was the last time.
The flat on the RomerDrive unit will be very handy for a jack, should the TC need removal again.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Looking through the summit racing catalog, there are 8 VDO 1/8-27 NPT senders and one m10x1.0 sender. DEFi and Prosport (The two leading aftermarket gauge folks right now) don't have anything but 1/8-27 NPT senders.

I think the answer's pretty obvious.

Apologizing first for the fact that I really have nothing invested in the outcome, I have a question:

For those who don't want the port, what is hoped to be accomplished by adding a few more ozs of oil to the bottom of the LT230 sump? Is it basically cosmetic?

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Was thinking of taping and drilling the housing for 1/8" NPT.

This is probably a comment better stated by Lav...
The larger capacity helps overall lubrication and disperses heat much better over the larger fluid volume.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
The larger capacity helps overall lubrication and disperses heat much better over the larger fluid volume.
I'm not sure I agree that the larger capacity helps overall lubrication, as the oil level remains the same (controlled by the height of the fill plug in the case), and the issue tends to be with that input shaft/gear being starved for lubrication..

More volume of oil will certainly help moderate oil temps, and the increased surface area of the larger sump (particularly the fined one) probably aids in the removal of heat from said volume of oil as well.

Seems like the LT230 is one of the stoutest components in an NAS Defender (with the exception of the input spline lubrication issue), and I'm not sure why the concern over oil temps here in the first place, unless it is fitted with an underdrive, or overdrive, which seems to be proven to increase oil temps. Am I missing something big here?

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
I agree with Scott. The purported benefits don't pass muster with basic physics.

I feel pretty bad about criticizing the concept, but if people will buy it for its placebo benefit, then more power to lav.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm not sure I agree with Scott or Ed :), and would hardly call it a “placebo”. The larger volume of fluid would certainly help dissipate heat and aid in keeping the LT230 better lubricated - more fluid "moving" around in there will create more coverage just from the volume alone – though I agree that the “overfilling” technique is probably the most effective about pushing the fluid up higher during operation. So I’d say the best of both worlds would be the way to go, larger capacity sump and overfilling to raise the splash area higher.

Also, more oil absorbs more heat therefore the box will run cooler - both on and off the road. I know I'm at one end of the spectrum with this, but on the highway I'm running ~3300-3500+ rpms...which is more driveline stress any way you slice it. Then, you couple with fact that off-road the more oil you have sloshing around in the LT230 likewise the better....whether or not you have an over- or under-drive (though those benefits with either of those are obviously not in question).

You would also, in theory, benefit from extending the fluid "life" by adding an additional 25-30% capacity increase overall (not everyone is as meticulous as I am when it comes to their fluid change routine, just ask Galpin...you could set your watch by my oil & fluid changes). For those that are not as rigorous in their maintenance, extension of the usable life of the fluid certainly will not hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with Scott or Ed :)
Hey, no hard feelings here, I'm happy to agree to disagree, I'm not claiming to be an expert, just relating my thinking. And for the record, I mentioned in an earlier post that it is beautifully done, and I might want one just for that reason :).

I also DO NOT dispute that more oil will dissipate heat better, nor do I believe that having increased oil capacity brings any negative side effects..

I'm just not sure I understand how the increased volume will provide better lubrication. Perhaps on the trail, where the vehicle's constant 'back & forth' movements would 'splash' the greater volume around more, but on the road (where the heat seems to be more of an issue with the higher sustained RPMs), I'd argue that the increased volume wouldn't lead to any greater distribution of fluid, since the level is the same...

Maybe one day I'll make it to the NOVA Happy hour and we can discuss it over a Beer.. At any rate, last post on the subject, I promise..

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
I'm not sure I agree that the larger capacity helps overall lubrication, as the oil level remains the same (controlled by the height of the fill plug in the case), and the issue tends to be with that input shaft/gear being starved for lubrication..
In theory your opinion would be true if the vehicle were always on a flat plane.
When tilted the addition oil volume will reach higher levels increasing the coverage area.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
My question. Has anyone had issues with the transfer case overheating?
Ive never heard of it. Aside from the engine, the component that overheats the most is the transmission.

I'm going to stop responding to this thread, though because Lav is my friend and I feel like I'm crapping all over what is essentially a for sale thread.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts