Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to import a 110 1979 to California, and I just want to know what the details on smog regulations and registration are. I’ve called the DMV, BAR, and California Air Resources Board. None of them will give a straight answer. I have heard that it is exempt as it is over 25 years old, and I have heard that this car model is not valid for this exemption. Help?

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Go brew a fresh pot of coffee.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
So first off defenders/90s/110s that were not series vehicles didn't start until 84.

So if it's really a 1979 and has leaf spring suspension it's a series truck or a Santana . A Santana is a spanish manufactured license built land rover copy and also not a defender. Very similar but not the same and much lower in value .

Secondly there is only a single legal way to import ANY vehicle that was built after 1975 into the state of California. It must go to G&k emissions lab in San Diego. The cost of the conversion there is anywhere from 8,000 to $15,000. There is no way around it.

I would suggest that you confirm what this vehicle is first. And then decide on whether or not you are willing to pay the extra cost to have the conversion done. There are no other legal options. None.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So first off defenders/90s/110s that were not series vehicles didn't start until 84.
Defenders started in 1990, prior to that (83-90) they were called land rover 90/110.
My 85 is a land rover 110 in county trim.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
Defenders started in 1990, prior to that (83-90) they were called land rover 90/110.
My 85 is a land rover 110 in county trim.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
We are saying the same thing. It's a marketing term who cares what they were called

1 - 8 of 8 Posts