Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the Defender Community.

I found a 1988 Defender 110 that i am considering to import into the states.
It has no engine and transmission.
Everything on the Defender matches the vin number except no engine/transmission.
My question is, If i Import the defender into the states, will i be able to register it to drive it down the road or will they make this defender a parts car?
my intention is to put a 3.9 or 4.2 on it, previous engine was a 3.5.
Will the CBP (customs border patrol) or Dmv let me register the defender once i put a new engine on it or will they tell me that the car you imported into the states can only be used as a parts car.
I hate to bring a defender only to find out i can only use it for parts.
I want to drive the beauty.

Can someone please give me a few helpful tips about this matter.

best regards

Edmond

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Can't comment on the import legalities but this sounds a prime candidate for a LS conversion. Best of luck !

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Will be considered parts.

You could throw a dead motor / trans prior to shipping. Does not need to run or drive but has to have the proper motor upon import.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Guys

Wish i could put an LS conversion andy. :)

Dave, I heard that the only way to get them titled is if you buy a certified US Spec engine and transmission here in the USA.
Wouldn't you think that this could be a possibility?
i did consider of buying the original engine and transmission and ship it overseas. but would cost an extra 2k or more for that to work.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
The issue is that when your truck shows up it will be categorized as parts. So you can't go applying for a title on a truck that is parts only. Your CBP paperwork will show it was parts and the DMV won't issue you a title. It needs an appropriate engine to get through customs, then you deal with registering it and making sure it meets emissions standards. Those are two differnt things

·
Premium Member
13,797 Posts
two different questions. Dave is right on import. Know that what you are trying to do in Ca will also require that you retrofit cats and evaporative emissions so meet the "certification"

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The defender will not be registered in California.
So I don't have any emissions issue to worry about.
Has anyone had real Experience about this matter,importing a defender with no engine and no transmission , so they could give me few points.
Some people say it's possible, others say you can't.
I will contact EPA and DOT tomorrow to get more clear answers.
Isn't this the case if the vehicle is with no engine and the drive train and if the truck is over 25 years old then isn't it true that it can lawfully imported into the US without regard to whether it complies with all Applicable FMVSS.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
no engine and trans... not a complete car so no papers to legally title and register (at least in MA)

.. you can of course import it as parts.... IMO for what that is worth....

·
Premium Member
15,165 Posts
no engine and trans... not a complete car so no papers to legally title and register (at least in MA)

.. you can of course import it as parts.... IMO for what that is worth....
LISTEN TO DOUG!

His services are worth every penny.

Bringing it in as parts makes no sense as you don't get a title or import docs. Find one with a motor/trans, it does not have to run, get your papers and then do whatever you want with the motor once it is here. Installing a junk (must be vin code correct) drivetrain is your best bet or find something with the original engine in place.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you very much.

------ Follow up post added July 9th, 2015 09:44 PM ------

He looking for someone with over 700 imports under their belt unfortunately ;)
your sense of humor sucks. keep them to your self. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
your sense of humor sucks. keep them to your self. thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

You do realize that this is pretty much the only source of Defender info on the continent. Not being a gentleman makes members here ignore your requests for help, parts, knowledge, etc. As for importing Defenders into the US, Uncle Douglas knows more than the CPB people that you are going to speak with when you call.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No disrespect to no one especially Uncle Douglas.
I had no clue that he is the best at what he does.
But, Its not nice for older members (JQ) to make fun of new comers.
All I asked that i wanted someone with experience to help me, because i didnt want to make a mistake.
Its all good.
I wish all the best
thank you Uncle and thank you Dave..

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I asked that i wanted someone with experience to help me, because i didnt want to make a mistake.
Its all good.
I wish all the best

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All I asked that i wanted someone with experience to help me, because i didn't want to make a mistake.
Its all good.
I wish all the best

1 - 20 of 26 Posts