Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 NAS D90 Portofino ST #4
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been very foggy and wet in California lately (especially along the coast) and I'm having problems starting my d-90 in the mornings. I sometimes have the same problem in the winter after a really good rain. Anyone else have the same problem? If so, what can I do to make my Defender more reliable under these conditions? It eventually turns over....but sounds like hell.

Thanks-
Brian:(

·
Premium Member
7,832 Posts
hmm check your dizzy cap. when was the last time it was replace. sometimes my truck runs shitty when its really rainy and humid here in the southeast. Maybe your ECU isnt getting alot with the mosture either.

·
Premium Member
7,832 Posts
whats the mialge and year, elaborate on sounds like hell

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
waterproofing(not again)

:eek:

Sounds like the Rover EFI water problem again. Try spraying the distributor and electrical connections in engine bay with Wd-40. Maybe I'm wrong, but sounds like the ignition problem is water caused.

·
Premium Member
1994 NAS D90 Portofino ST #4
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is definately from moisture inside the engine. It has been ridiculously foggy here lately (marine layer). The truck eventually starts after about 4 attempts. It's pretty nerve racking. What can I do?

Thanks Guys-
Brian

·
Premium Member
7,832 Posts
I thought on the 95 the ECU problem with the 94's was addressed? When was the last time you replaced the ignition stuff, that is what I attribute my poor operation in wet weather too. The problem maybe more cbvious that you initially anticipated.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Does it screach like all hell broke loose? Mine did that when it got wet for a while then it did it all the time. Turned out that there wer NO brushes and a load of dirt in the starter. I replaced it and the problem was solved.

But I would first pull the wires off the cap one at a time too look for corrosion. If you find any sand it off and make sure to push real hard when putting them back on too get them seated all the way. That caused starting problems for me last winter the truck ran like $hit until it dried off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts