Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are other threads on here but none of them seemed to be the problem I am having. When I turn the truck on the key moves free like there is nothing controlling where the key ends up after it starts. It gets stuck just past the on position but when I try to move it back to where it should be it just turns off and won't stay in the position. Any idea what this could be?

·
Super Moderator
12,977 Posts
The switch is broken.

·
Premium Member
8,968 Posts
Ditch the ignition switch all together, and go Carling rocker switch (with a hidden kill switch or two : ). After replacing mine 2-3 times over a few years (with brand new Lucas each time) I got sick of dropping $50 on new switches as annual maintenance. Email me for details.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
The part you need is PRC8230
Its 39.99 from Atlantic British. Ive ever seen 1 go bad on a Nas defender and that was after 19 yeas of service. You'll also need 2 sheer bolts or you can use regular bolts if you like. The bad one I came across was repairable. I opened it up out of curiosity and it has several retension springs, regular springs and ball bearings. The grease had dried up.

·
Premium Member
8,968 Posts
The part you need is PRC8230
Its 39.99 from Atlantic British. Ive ever seen 1 go bad on a Nas defender and that was after 19 yeas of service. You'll also need 2 sheer bolts or you can use regular bolts if you like. The bad one I came across was repairable. I opened it up out of curiosity and it has several retension springs, regular springs and ball bearings. The grease had dried up.
I've had 3 go out in as many years. And 1 was just replaced 1.5 years ago with a new unit.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I've had 3 go out in as many years. And 1 was just replaced 1.5 years ago with a new unit.
I read your post. Im not trying to start a debate with you. You shared your experience as did I. Im sorry you had to go through that several X. I have no explanation for it.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I to agree that it is part number PRC8230. With some skill you can replace the part without removing the ignition switch from the column. We've replaced more than a few. If you need any assistance let us know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts