Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been chasing a warm starting problem and upon changing the spark plugs, I noticed oil leaking from my ignition coil.
The coil was bought from AB back in 2011, it only has about 5k miles on it. I would think it would last longer than just a few years. This coil is a Bosch and it has 0221 122 392 stamped on it.

Now I've read other posts and other owners are using Bosch 00113.
Are both appropriate for this engine?

AB also sells a Lucus coil for this engine for $39

Any advise on which coil to use?

This is for a NAS D90 with a 3.9L V8

Cheers...

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Ok, I've been chasing a warm starting problem and upon changing the spark plugs, I noticed oil leaking from my ignition coil. The coil was bought from AB back in 2011, it only has about 5k miles on it. I would think it would last longer than just a few years. This coil is a Bosch and it has 0221 122 392 stamped on it. Now I've read other posts and other owners are using Bosch 00113. Are both appropriate for this engine? AB also sells a Lucus coil for this engine for $39 Any advise on which coil to use? This is for a NAS D90 with a 3.9L V8 Cheers...
Mike, my money is on the first sentence of your second paragraph. 5k miles since 2011. If I'm reading that correctly I would say drive, drive, drive and the problem is likely to resolve itself. How old is the fuel filter? When they sit for long periods of time they can get crusty and breakdown inside.

Clay

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Yes, oil leaking from the coil means a bad coil. My first bad coil had a black tar'y substance oozing from the top.

For whatever reason, I have replaced three coils in my NAS 110 in the 10 years I have owned it. Have never gotten insight as to why. Could blame high under bonnet temps here in So Cal, I guess.

In the most recent occurrence, the truck stopped dead and despite turning over strongly wouldn't start. This is with a Mallory distributor.

I now keep a spare.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Use the good Bosch one not the cheapie, I had one of those fail within 1k miles for new

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts