Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email from a “member” of the forum stating they knew a guy that posted a 1995 cubby box for sale and gave his email address. I emailed, he replied with pictures and i Venmo’d him the cash for it. Turns out the “member” that originally emailed me has only been a member for 5 days. And the guy I paid isn’t responding to my emails. I’m an idiot, but Watch out!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
that sucks. sorry. yeah - i've been getting DM messages on stuff I've posted in wanted that fit the same pattern. "Some dude at name @ gmail dot com has <your wanted item>, seems to be increasing. paypal "goods" (not personal) is safer than venmo as they will help out with fraud transactions.

·
Super Moderator
12,047 Posts
If you ever get a scamming PM on here, please use the report function to send it to the Mods for review.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup that’s what happened. $125 ain’t much but enough to make me feel like a moron. The private message got me. Anyway, heads up out there!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Reading this I recall a new member contacted me last week directing me to another person and their email that was selling something i was looking for.. well over a month ago. I now see that user acct. is banned.

I'd see if there is recourse with your bank if you used this method of funding through the online payment service.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel like a complete fool. Hopefully I saved at least one other member from being scammed though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s it Anthony213 and Mark Salazar. Interesting he emailed me back when I said I no longer want the center console...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew I was screwed when I saw Anthony213 had no profile picture and had only been a member for 5 days. Of course this was after I paid. I’m such an idiot!!!

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
This is a common tactic on a watch forum I Admin on. If in doubt make a Mod Report and let them run the members IP addresses. Most will either come from Nigeria or through a proxy server.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Yup, been getting these stupid PMs for days now but I noticed they had zero post so I knew it was a scam!! What out!

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
This is a common tactic on a watch forum I Admin on. If in doubt make a Mod Report and let them run the members IP addresses. Most will either come from Nigeria or through a proxy server.
I have no doubt it happens ALL the time and is much more dangerous/lucrative on your forum

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Yup... turbo for me... I almost fell for it but he stopped talking to me when I asked for specifics... since then I have received several more offers from various sites from my wtb posts...

now I just check how many posts the member has made... it’s usually under 5

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I got an email from a “member” of the forum stating they knew a guy that posted a 1995 cubby box for sale and gave his email address. I emailed, he replied with pictures and i Venmo’d him the cash for it. Turns out the “member” that originally emailed me has only been a member for 5 days. And the guy I paid isn’t responding to my emails. I’m an idiot, but Watch out!
WOW! And I was JUST about to pay this guy!!! He's going by MATTHEW SALAZAR now!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts