Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The publication Grassroots Motorsports has been doing an annual weekend for all forms of Motorsports for 18 yrs now.
The venue is the gorgeous Virginia International Raceway (VIR) along the Dan River on the Va/NC border. The event is this weekend.
There is something for everyone @ this event. Jonesy,Trey, and I are working as volunteer's for Terrain Mortorsports the company handling the
off road portion of the event. There are miles of self drive trails, an obstacle course, rock garden etc. There is even an opportunity for the un initiated to pay for rides in built up rigs around the course if you'd like to see what modifications can enable these trucks to do. Sounds hokey,
but two of my fondest memories to date are fast lap pay rides, and the conversations afterwards, I have taken around race tracks with Formula 1 racing greats Brian Redman and David Hobbs in race cars @ Summit Point and Moroso. Weather is shaping up to be gorgeous this weekend. Camping on site with shower houses, and live musc acts playing in the infield throughout the weekend.
Y'all come check it out and participate. Snag a ride in Jonesy's light/heavyweight or the Sarek L322 monster truck

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyperfest+2019&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS623US623&oq=hyperfest&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0j69i60l2j69i59j69i61.24854j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Everyone who is a "motor-head" of any type should come to this. Not only are the trail systems & obstacle courses OUTSTANDING - the scenery is great...the food is wonderful...the bands are great ... and like Doug said their is something for everyone:
- fast cars
- drifters
- go karts
- helicopter rides
- burn out competitions
- offroad trails & courses

It is an outstanding event - come out, bring your truck, or come down and ride along on trail rides with others!! Last year they had a few "buggies" that were simply amazing to watch crawl around and go up BIG boulders......also for all you Truck night in America fans (RIP Pistol Pete) you can meet AK & Dozer from the last episode (he won)...from Chaos Fab Shop in Winchester, VA.

COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!!

No excuses for NOVA crews.....:)

Nor any of the Raleigh/Ashville guys....Brewie, Lynch, Brian, Bo, Raub, Derek etc....

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I agree with Uncle Douglas and Jonesy, this is an awesome event! I went last year for the first time and had a blast! There are more motorsports things going on in one place at the same time than you will ever see anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
9,904 Posts
Who's going?
Sounds like a great time.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
c'mon - all you NOVA dudes....it is an awesome day trip - the wife and kids will have a blast too.

Would be REALLY interesting to see all you non wheeling-keyboard bashing wankers out at an event :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I always enjoyed HF as a rally driver. Shame that a few years back we had some offroad folks come in after it rained overnight and tore up the whole road making it impassible for the rally cars.

I won the event, only because I finished the stage. Not a single other person was able to make it to the end, so the winners were determined by who made it the farthest. Lame.

Rally cars are back this year, so who knows if there will be better control.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Was a great time had by all - here are a few highlights from my experience:

1. We had over 200 "ride-alongs" - majority of people had not been off-road...a great time for all
  2. The courses were all setup real well - and with continued massaging with the front end loader our friend Pete got the boulder bash course just right!
  3. The weather was hot
  4. We ate really well - there were great food vendors too
  5. The crew from Chaos Off-Road were great
  6. Michael T was swamped & overwhelmed - so we all pitched in and he was grinning from ear to ear all day Saturday :)
  7. Watching everyone look in awe as Ralf Sarek pulled in and unloaded
  8. Driving around with the Hyperfest Girls in my Lightweight
  9. Watching the track racing & drifiting
  10. Hearing Uncle Doug say "I love the smell of burnt rubber in the morning"
  11. Going on a ride-along with Ralf in race cars - thanks Ralf :love
  12. Seeing the smiles of everyone who was either going off-road, giving ride-alongs or some way or another connected with it
For your viewing pleasure here are some of my collected pics from the event....unfortunately as I was so busy I didn't get to take a lot of pictures...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
13. the look on Mike Sword's face every time you brought up the fact he broke your cv joint
14. A half dozen of AK's margarita's and then going to the go-cart track and being uber competitve. I even spun Trey out to get to the front.

·
Registered
105 Posts
c'mon - all you NOVA dudes....it is an awesome day trip - the wife and kids will have a blast too.

Would be REALLY interesting to see all you non wheeling-keyboard bashing wankers out at an event :)
Sadly Hyperfest is the same week/weekend each year as another major event I'm at each year on Tail of The Dragon.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Great event and great time. Glad I found my phone.
That was pretty funny.....I am sure you and Jeff have some "interesting" memories from the Friday night fiasco you were trying to get us to go to :)

We made "friends" with a bloke named Ray who thought he was a Wookie and was communicating with Chewbacca....until his friends could finally get him into a car to pass out.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Who compensated in the power wheels race? Someone from this crew had to.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
That was pretty funny.....I am sure you and Jeff have some "interesting" memories from the Friday night fiasco you were trying to get us to go to :)

We made "friends" with a bloke named Ray who thought he was a Wookie and was communicating with Chewbacca....until his friends could finally get him into a car to pass out.
Jonesy - debauchery. some chick gave me ecstasy and I ended up dancing with glow sticks all over me as the drift dudes played stump all night. good times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts