Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding the axles on my "97 NAS D90. When I follow the workshop manual, and I mount a dial indicator guage to measure the end float- to get any movement on the gauge- it seems that the adjusting nut is illiogically loose. If I tighten it down as per the manual to 50NM torque, back it off 90 degrees and then tighten it back to 7 NM as per the instructions I dont get any reading on the gauge at all as I try to pull on the hub. I only get the recommended .004 of an inch on the guage when I lossen the adjusting nut so that it is barely hand tight- is this right? It seems like it should be tighter than that. Thanks!

David

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
You don’t want end float. Just snug it up and you are good to go. A bit of preload is best.

Reactions: vern

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
I personally don't follow the factory specs for this. On any axle with loose wheel bearings I tighten them up until the wheel begins to drag. I then back off the nut slightly until there is absolutely zero play in the bearings and the wheel runs smoothly without any drag. It's a feel thing and has worked for me well. We are talking like an eighth of a turn on the nut from snug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally don't follow the factory specs for this. On any axle with loose wheel bearings I tighten them up until the wheel begins to drag. I then back off the nut slightly until there is absolutely zero play in the bearings and the wheel runs smoothly without any drag. It's a feel thing and has worked for me well. We are talking like an eighth of a turn on the nut from snug.
Thank you-thats kind of what I thought - appreciate the confirmation!

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I personally use the big cheap nut tool (the sheet steel one) and tighten up to "hand tight" and call it good and secure the lock nut and washers on it.. Usually that means I have some grease on my hands and there is no way to He-man it and make it too tight. Not science but works better for me than the tighten then loosen a bit method.

Reactions: rover4x4
1 - 6 of 6 Posts