Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove the steering column in my 90. I have everything taken apart, and have removed the steering wheel and turn signal/windshield wiper assembly. Now the only thing keeping it from sliding through the bulkhead is the assembly that holds the lock cylinder. It is two pieces, and is clamped onto the column by two bolts/screws, but the head is smooth, so there is no way I can see to get these bolts out. Any help is much appreciated.

Chris

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
you must use a "easy out" and drill out the bolt. not sure if thats the right term but you can pick up a set at Sears ($20-$30) It is easily done just a little awkward.

They are security bolts that when installed the driver heads torque off leaving a smooth bolt head. thus making it harder to steal the truck. I'll look up the replacement part # tonight for you and will post it tomorrow.

hope that helps,

Read

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Read, I would have never thought of that. I appreciate the part# too, as it takes my local dealer forever to look up part #s, as they rarely deal with D90's. Thanks again.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
Chris, I just did this too. Like he said, just easy out the 2 bolts. The part # for the bolt is 51K4001L sheer bolt..:grin

RAndy:pimp

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
oh well, look's like randy beat me to the part #. you can replace with allen head cap screws instead. It just makes you truck a bit easer to steal. The up side is if you ever loose your keys, you can just hot wire it. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
Thats a good Idea.:clap I would go with the allens or even security torx..

Randy:pimp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts