Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I pulled the cardboard trim around the clutch\brake\acc pedals this weekend..

And the foam strip that was glued to the top edge has deteriorated into a black, sticky mess. I've tried Goo Gone, Goof Off and other cleaners, but this stuff won't let go...

I have a few bolts that are covered in it soaking in Gasoline right now, sort of a last idea..

Anyone else find anything that works to get this stuff off?

P.S. - Changing the Clutch master. Never thought I was going to gt that damn pedal box out of the hole, but it did eventually come out, as all the threads say. Now I just have to do the flex line, Slave and bleed the system. Oh yeah, and figure out how to get the hood back on.. LOL!

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
Diesel or mineral spirits.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I keep a can of Xylene around also.

Back in the day I used to use Trichlorotrifluoroethane on everything. It was like magic, spray it on your messy spot and everything evaporated into the heavens, magic.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Aceton! :thumb:

When turning the clutchpedal 90° it's sometimes necessary to make a short slot into the opening. Just as wide as the pedal's (rubber is off) thickness.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Aceton! :thumb: When turning the clutchpedal 90° it's sometimes necessary to make a short slot into the opening. Just as wide as the pedal's (rubber is off) thickness.
Arlo - do you use Acetone for a metal prep before you weld? I have been using it for the past month or so. I use it after sanding with a flap disk and it seems to help out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Arlo - do you use Acetone for a metal prep before you weld? I have been using it for the past month or so. I use it after sanding with a flap disk and it seems to help out.
I just use a flap disk to keep the surfaces metallic clean before welding.
Only when trying to solder parts I use acetone or cellulose thinner to get the surfaces free of fat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts