Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is telling me this is not normal.
Got around to the seal replacement, now thinking there might well be a root cause for for the seal failure.

I'm getting several mm of play in the final drive? maybe a degree or two of backlash, but the side to side is what I'm concerned about.
I would have also been concerned about the castle nut tightness had I known. I took it off with my fingers o_O (split pin was still in place)

Is my front diff fubar?
I believe its the original (1983 110)

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Are you feeling play with the flange and nut off? The flange and nut hold the bearings together and set the preload.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was, yes. I see so the bearing won't grip till the castle nut is tight, so I guess I'm worrying about nothing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still concerned.
I torqued the Bevel pinion nut down, and there is about 15-20° of backlash on the pinion. (wheels on the ground)
It occurs that if on disassembly the castle nut was loose (well just finger tight) yet the cotter pin was still through the castle nut, then something must of slackened off/ worn out internally.
Transmissing has been somewhat 'clunky', I'd been blaming the gearbox (A noisy LT85) but maybe its the front diff

Thought anybody?
Chris

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
15 to 20 degrees is normal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
15 to 20 degrees seems excessive. There are two things to adjust on a diff - the pattern (based on the plunge of the pinion gear on the ring gear), and the back lash (adjusted by changing the tooth engagement). Set the plunge first, then the backlash. Use a dial indicator on the ring gear for that. There are videos on line on how to set up a diff. Take a look at them and see where you need to adjust it. I would put a bearing set in it while it is apart.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd been looking YouTube etc.
Trailer fitters toolbox: I have about the same backlash as this vid
about 3 mins 30s in.
According to this guy my prop shaft is also backwards, but seems to be correct according to manual. (I've seen conflicting pictures)

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
It is completely normal. I’ve seen tons of these axles. With brand new parts and tight adjustments it is a bit less.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If the back lash is correct, the I guess 15 to 20 degrees is correct too. I don't remember that much angular play when I installed my Ashcroft ATBs, but if its right then you are good.

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
The play at the pinion is a combination of the pinion backlash, the backlash in the diff gears and the four halfshafts splines.

An ATB has no backlash in the diff as the gears are preloaded. It is a completely different beast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts