Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have another thread about an issue I was chasing but decided after today I should start a different thread based on my morning drive. This morning the motor blew all its coolant all over the highway and left me on the side of the road. I was pulling onto the highway and accelerating in 4th past 3k rpm and the motor stopped pulling, bucked pretty violently and then poof white smoke everywhere.

I had been chasing a what I thought was knocking from a fueling issue but maybe it was a rod knocking? I thought a rod knock was present at all times the engine was running. This knock was not present when the motor was cool or was cruising around town. It only developed after highway runs and low rpm / large throttle applications. Plugs are white. Oil is clean and there is no water in it. Engine will no longer stay running. It does crank and eventually start but it quickly turns into a rough idle and then bucks and stalls with knocking noises present.

I’m going to pull the plugs and borescope the cylinders and pull the valve covers but other than obvious damage, I’m not sure what to be looking for to determine if the motor is toast. Pretty bummed about it all so hoping to diagnose and figure out a remedy as soon as I can.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What engine are we talking about? I know a lot about the V-8s, not so much about the diesels. Always good to do some troubleshooting before jumping in, so see what is in the oil, compression checks, plug reads, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After sitting for a while it will restart and idles better than before. In this video it has no coolant in it. Idles fine in the beginning and then starts to stumble. Knock noises start to come in towards the end. I didn’t rev it since no coolant.

Pulled passenger valve cover and cranked it. Everything is turning so not a camshaft issue so far.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Where in the written text in this thread was it mentioned that this vehicle is an NAS 90?
Hell, post 1 didn't even mention what engine the vehicle had...
Since it all bolts in and out, we are sending a kit to an NAS owner that is going to put their stock engine and transmission away, install an inline 6 for drivability and if he ever decides to sell, swap back.
Anyway merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Merry Christmas buddy.. watch the video.. you know I'm a 292 fan and probably one of the few people that daily drove a 292 rover for years but its not doing the owner of a NAS any favors to convert it to one.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Merry Christmas to you too!
BTW:
A guy named Mike with a 94 NAS 90 is swapping in an R380 stumpy and 250.
Since it bolts in, he'll have better performance and reliability and if he decides to sell swap back.
I've seen TDI swaps in NAS 90s and they require cutting and welding.
Since the inline 6 bolts in, all the owner has at stake are a couple of weekends to swap in and back.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Where in the written text in this thread was it mentioned that this vehicle is an NAS 90?
Hell, post 1 didn't even mention what engine the vehicle had...
Since it all bolts in and out, we are sending a kit to an NAS owner that is going to put their stock engine and transmission away, install an inline 6 for drivability and if he ever decides to sell, swap back.
Anyway merry Christmas!
I just wrote the admin the other day about having vehicles listed like it used to be... They said you have to add it to your signature, like that is going to happen. I just wish they would at least, when asking a question, make you fill out what vehicle it is pertaining to... but I doubt that will ever happen either...

·
Premium Member
15,140 Posts
I will add, if you want, I can PM you my cell and can walk you through a diag.

but basically:

1. Drain oil, looks for chunks/metal flake
2. Grab fan, look for play in water pump bearing.
3. See if there are hard/dead spots when turning
4. Do compression test
5. Loosen belts, make sure every accessory spins freely

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, it’s a 1995 NAS 90 with a 4.6. Compression test so far:

#8: 150
#6: 145
#4: 145
#2: 145

I’ll work on the other bank in between making ours for dinner

Merry Xmas everyone and thanks for taking the time to try and help me out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Around 0:55 in the 1st video, it appears like there is a plug wire arc in the area of cylinder #1 (front of the engine on driver's side). Probably unrelated to the coolant and noise issue, but could lead to a rough idle condition.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 71 Posts