Defender Source Forum banner

Hooligan Autoworks in Austin, TX (Chris Stockdale) - STAY AWAY!!!!

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  hanzo111 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New member here but an old time Land Rover fan. I just wanted to take the time to warn anyone about a shop/owner that has unethical operating procedures.

Hooligan Autoworks in Austin Texas is/was run by a guy named Chris Stockdale. They opened their doors about 4 years ago, but I believe the've totally closed their doors due to cashflow/management/ownership issues.

If you ever cross paths with a guy named Chris Stockdale (he's on the message boards too), I'd advise you to stay clear of him. He's ripped off multiple people, promised big projects and couldn't deliver them, used other people money to attempt to finish old projects, and sold part from customer's cars to help keep the doors open. He's a bad dude that sells himself as a cool cat that can get his customers what they want. What he's selling isn't what he's delivering...

Send me a PM or reply to this thread if you have questions or want to know more.

#3 ·
Their shop name is meant to portray a bunch of rule breakers (their team members) that defy today’s standards and push the envelope to deliver something that most people wouldn’t think of constructing or fabricating. That’s what Chris would say anyway. In reality, yes to your response. I believe he’s a “Hooligan” that will do what it takes (at other people’s expense) to attempt to build the unthinkable with zero execution plans or no ability to have a qualified team in place to help him. This way of thinking and a good sales minded person can put people with a dream (building a great Land Rover) in a vulnerable spot and cost someone a great deal of money...

Again, if you’re thinking of doing business with this guy and don’t know what you’re getting into, think twice, as it could be a very big financial mistake. He’s a crook and will do what it takes to get your money...

#4 ·
I had a pretty terrible experience with these guys too. It was mostly Chris Stockdale that caused the pain. He constantly lied about costs and timeline. It took him and his “team” three years to build this POS. $125K and three years later, I had to pull the plug, fight them for the title of the vehicle and ship it to E.C.D. Auto design to straighten things out. Ultimately, I can only blame myself for this mess, but it’s still painful to know I crossed paths with this guy. Here is a little video of their Chop Shop’s creation. I had to get a trailer to pick it up because it didn’t even run...

#8 ·
Which car was yours?

Chris Stockdale is only returning calls to a few people. Other than that - he's just hiding behind a different shop name.

I know people that he's still talking with some customers, but only the ones dumb enough to believe his lies or to think they will get what he's promising.

#13 ·
6 figures spent and it showed up to our shop in a flatbed. As Chris is blocking my calls now too, I have no loyalty. After tracing a nightmare of wiring we successfully sorted the issues and have it running. How about this nice professional wiring?

Sam Hagey
Royal Overland Company - Austin, TX
Trucks To Conquer Your Next Adventure
www.royaloverland.com

#14 ·
This was just brought to my attention through PM from one of Hooligan's (Christ Stockdale) victims.

This is one of Hooligan's builds. If you're in the market - might want to stay away from this ride. What a rip off...

#16 ·
On a positive note for the thread, here is what E.C.D. did to the mess that Chris Stockdale built. A total transformation in a bold way. Love or hate the color, ECD executed my vision flawlessly :)

They also wrote up a story on the mess they had to sort through... just a few of the many mistakes that Hooligan made during the build process.

#17 ·
Nice, but no wireless charging for the phone?

#22 ·
Hi All,

New member here but an old time Land Rover fan. I just wanted to take the time to warn anyone about a shop/owner that has unethical operating procedures.

Hooligan Autoworks in Austin Texas is/was run by a guy named Chris Stockdale. They opened their doors about 4 years ago, but I believe the've totally closed their doors due to cashflow/management/ownership issues.

If you ever cross paths with a guy named Chris Stockdale (he's on the message boards too), I'd advise you to stay clear of him. He's ripped off multiple people, promised big projects and couldn't deliver them, used other people money to attempt to finish old projects, and sold part from customer's cars to help keep the doors open. He's a bad dude that sells himself as a cool cat that can get his customers what they want. What he's selling isn't what he's delivering...

Send me a PM or reply to this thread if you have questions or want to know more.
Hi All,

I used to work for this guy. He worked as a Real Estate Agent or some BS and was barely at the shop. I would try and give feedback or suggest things as I have multiple awards and a degree in Automotive. Even ran my own shop for a few years. Since leaving that place I built a award winning Lexus GS300 with my son. Last show we places 1st out of 200 cars and a Best Father Son Award before that show we took Best Paint/Wrap. Chris is 110% good at talking. Delivering is not even in the same conversation. I've personally been asked to put parts from other vehicles that were owned by actual customers and installed them onto other customers cars. Do not deal with him!!! It'll get expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.