Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New member here but an old time Land Rover fan. I just wanted to take the time to warn anyone about a shop/owner that has unethical operating procedures.

Hooligan Autoworks in Austin Texas is/was run by a guy named Chris Stockdale. They opened their doors about 4 years ago, but I believe the've totally closed their doors due to cashflow/management/ownership issues.

If you ever cross paths with a guy named Chris Stockdale (he's on the message boards too), I'd advise you to stay clear of him. He's ripped off multiple people, promised big projects and couldn't deliver them, used other people money to attempt to finish old projects, and sold part from customer's cars to help keep the doors open. He's a bad dude that sells himself as a cool cat that can get his customers what they want. What he's selling isn't what he's delivering...

Send me a PM or reply to this thread if you have questions or want to know more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their shop name is meant to portray a bunch of rule breakers (their team members) that defy today’s standards and push the envelope to deliver something that most people wouldn’t think of constructing or fabricating. That’s what Chris would say anyway. In reality, yes to your response. I believe he’s a “Hooligan” that will do what it takes (at other people’s expense) to attempt to build the unthinkable with zero execution plans or no ability to have a qualified team in place to help him. This way of thinking and a good sales minded person can put people with a dream (building a great Land Rover) in a vulnerable spot and cost someone a great deal of money...

Again, if you’re thinking of doing business with this guy and don’t know what you’re getting into, think twice, as it could be a very big financial mistake. He’s a crook and will do what it takes to get your money...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a pretty terrible experience with these guys too. It was mostly Chris Stockdale that caused the pain. He constantly lied about costs and timeline. It took him and his “team” three years to build this POS. $125K and three years later, I had to pull the plug, fight them for the title of the vehicle and ship it to E.C.D. Auto design to straighten things out. Ultimately, I can only blame myself for this mess, but it’s still painful to know I crossed paths with this guy. Here is a little video of their Chop Shop’s creation. I had to get a trailer to pick it up because it didn’t even run...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so glad I read this thread. I was dead set on talking with this shop tomorrow. Thanks all for the headsup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this guy got my car 2 years ago, took my money upfront for work that wasn't done, stripped the car and wont return my calls! criminal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this guy got my car 2 years ago, took my money upfront for work that wasn't done, stripped the car and wont return my calls! criminal!
Which car was yours?

Chris Stockdale is only returning calls to a few people. Other than that - he's just hiding behind a different shop name.

I know people that he's still talking with some customers, but only the ones dumb enough to believe his lies or to think they will get what he's promising.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which car was yours?

Chris Stockdale is only returning calls to a few people. Other than that - he's just hiding behind a different shop name.

I know people that he's still talking with some customers, but only the ones dumb enough to believe his lies or to think they will get what he's promising.
I "had" the 73 charger. It was in for paint, small engine fix, and upholstery of the interior. Drove it in there all the way from florida where i bought it. Chris was a great salesman, convinced me his shop was the place to take it and that he could turn it around in a reasonable amount of time. I had no reason not to believe him, it was a big facility with plenty of people working on projects that seemed much more complicated than mine. He stripped my car, left it out to rot, and no longer returns my calls/messages...though he had no issue demanding the money up front!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His shop is very close to this address. If you want, swing by his shop as he continues to promote the "open shop policy"...and "all are welcome!".

12345 Pauls Valley Rd
Austin, TX 78737

Picture of his shop attached.
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.37.02 PM.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts