Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No luck finding these hood frames so I decided to tackle it. I’m just wondering if the hood is normally flat along the recessed center area or is there a slight arch? Mine is concave I assume from having a spare tire on it and the supports seem to be bent down giving me about a half inch gap. Not sure if I should have the supports flat and get the skin to match or match the supports to the slight arch of the skin.

thanks in advance,
Sean

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
The middle is curved in both directions.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Red, I appreciate it.

I've pulled the frame off and been trying to follow the inside corners with the spoon/dolly to form it. I had to weld up 10 holes so that didn't help anything but I seem to be closing in on it. Going to try to match the frame with the curve.

Sean

·
Registered
17 Posts
wierd. mine has the same gap and ive always wondered why. no holes drilled for the hood spare tire.... maybe ill fix one day

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The frame came off pretty easily, drilled out rivets and non of the adhesive was actually sticking. Spent all day with the torch, spoons and dolly trying to get it back to form, kinda of hard on a big flimsy piece of aluminum, definitely testing the limits of my patience. It actually looks good in the first picture but was dented in about a half inch and the bolt holes were stretched down even further to the frame.

Getting the frame to curve was really easy. I clamped a 2x4 near the back where the angled pieces join and levered it over another 2x4. I'd give it a slight bend and then move the 2x4 forward until it matched my template. I thought I was going to have to make cuts to bend it but it goes easy. Primed and painted the back side of the frame and just scuffed and primed over the original green primer on the skin and then glued it all back together.

There was corrosion where the two metals met so I made sure any contact areas where coated with Sikaflex.

Sean

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts