Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Has anyone fit one of these to a 2.25 petrol yet?
Sarek Autowerke in Richmond, VA has a package that they have been selling like this. They call it the "Reliability Package". They install a sniper and they can also remove the distributer and make a electronic ignition system. I have only seen them use the smaller 2 barrel Sniper and not this 1 barrel Sniper that RDavis is highlighting. But the concept is the same.

Link To Sarek Package

Reactions: evilfij

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ron:
Since the 2.25 manifold was originally designed with stud spacing Solex 40PA carb back in 1958.
Later when the Zenith 36IV was fitted, an adapter was added to change the orientation so the petal assembly linkage would work.
I believe that with a similar adapter to what's in post 7, the Ford Autolite 1100 would work.
The exhaust would need to be a larger diameter with the O2 sensor bung welded in the down pipe.
The accelerator linkage would need to be tried and tested and likely modified.
All this is not over complicated.

Reactions: evilfij

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dave:
I likely bought the first Ford Autolite 1100 that was available with the hope of fitting it to the Chevy 250.
The frustration expressed in post 11 is more about missed opportunity than anything else.
Once fitted, the Ford Autolite 1100 EFI should work fine'
Will also need to look for an EFI controlled replacement for the Lucas 25 and 45D4 distributor that is compatible with the Sniper.

You're correct in there is ample opportunity for a kit as the series prices skyrocket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sarek used the 2GC or BBD 2 barrel with single downdraft opening split into 2 barrels.
The Autolite 1100 replacement Sniper is a better choice because it's a true 1 barrel.
I found the 2GC or BBD did a lot of clicking to feed the intake charge through the single manifold opening.
After installing the Autolite 1100 Sniper, It runs much smoother and the IAC was easier to set.
A word of caution, you cannot mix and match the handheld units and switch around the same memory card thinking all is in sync.
The handheld units have firmware as well as the ECU.
This is not covered in the instructions, but important to note.

I used an air cleaner from a 1965 Mustang with 200cuin inline 6 and it fits like a champ.
Am also having adapters made that will adapt the Chevy round and rectangular air filter housings.
The linkage was easy, but required a bell crank.
Since the Chevy 250 had a factory bracket, just drilled a couple of holes and added a bracket for a cable stop that took about 30 minutes to figure out.

Ordered another 1100 Sniper to work out an adapter for the Rover 2.25 and have a Series I manifold somewhere to check whenever it turns up.

Here's a few pictures of the running example showing the Mustang air filter housing which was the fastest way to get one driving.
Click on thumbnails.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go to YouTube. Watch all of the negative reviews for the holy sniper. Believe everything that you watch, this is not a turnkey product. Probably better than a set of old crusty Webbers but not by much. It would be fantastic for a new build with new wiring and new everything but not an old truck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What does that mean? Either the system sucks or it doesn't.....
No it’s not but it sucks or it doesn’t.
Read the post.
If you have new everything,
no vacuume leaks (not even pin hole)
No rfi signal issue
No exhaust leak
Perfect timing
No blow by (pistons, valves, etc)
You may be OK.
The sniper will uncover issues you never knew existed with a carburetor. It does not self tune, period. Join the Holley forum to read what issues exist. Most remedies involve you manually tuning the unit.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
humm .. thats a great idea.. really only need an adapter plate from the manifold to the carb for any 2bbl (or one) carb.. owner if it would bolt on as is to a 2.25 with a weber/zenith adapter plate....

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Will be working on a 2.25 adapter as soon as all the custom power steering brackets for the Chevy 250 are finished.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts