Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been trying to convince Holley to build a single barrel EFI for over 10 years and they finally released one.
Should arrive today.
Stay tuned.
This should be a direct bolt on for the 2.25 series engines and the Chevy inline 6 conversions we build for the Defender.
We will immediately manufacture an adapter to mount this EFI on the 2,5 and 3.0 liter GM 4 cylinder engine conversions we build for the Series II and III.
Am running the first small BBD 2 barrel on my daily driver that was purchased before they became available on the website.
Very excited by this new development that will become a recommended component for the engine conversions I've been building since 1994.
Holley EFI 550-552 Holley Sniper EFI Autolite 1100 - Gold

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Pretty good price and targeted toward the smaller engines. Should be a big hit with the smaller sports cars. This is EXACTLY what a 2.25 petrol needs.

Of course 3 years after getting my home brew EFI figured out, they come out with this.

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The advantages over a carb are overwhelming, especially when you consider a vehicle with a sniper gets parked for a year with a battery maintenance charger.
You jump in and atart the engine with a Sniper.
The EFI adjusts to the old less volatile gasoline and the engine starts and runs fine.
Then you fill-up and it adjusts again.
You drive up into the mountains and it adjusts again, then to sea level and again the Sniper adjusts.

This is unlike the vehicle parked with a carb filled with gas that is gummed-up with a stuck float valve after being parked for 6 months and won't run properly, if at all.

Reactions: Brrrrt

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is great...keep us updated on the install and performance. I am planning to replace my 1 barrel Monojet carb this winter with an EFI Setup on my 250 and was hoping a 1 barrel option would eventually be offered.

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Had a little time to play with the 1100 last night.
It's not a direct bolt up as the Holley tech-rep described.
The adapter block was machined and ready, so a quick trial fit on a Chevy 250 in the shop.
Only took a few minutes to mount.
The next step is the accelerator linkage for the stock Land Rover cable.
Since the operating range in a Defender is typically around 2,500 RPM, this unit has more than enough capacity to feed the Chevy inline 6.
Since there is so much room under the hood am thinking about an air intake scoop through the unused fender top to bring cooler air that is a little more dense routed through a remote air filter box.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Robert, thanks for the update...I’m hoping to update my 1 barrel monojet carb to one of these Holly Sniper EFIs this winter. Will this one be able to be mounted so that the wiring faces the other way (towards the bulkhead)?

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't believe so because of the throttle linkage position.
Don't be fooled by the pictures.
It's not a final install, just a trial fit to verify everything clears.
A real install will have the cables up out of the way instead of laying wherever they happened to land on top of the engine.

Reactions: LostChord

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Watching this, could this be an answer to our 2lt spread-bore running at 7400' alt.

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what you're asking.
Are you asking about a Series I with a 2.0 liter engine @ 7,400 feet above sea level?
If so possibly.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Not sure what you're asking.
Are you asking about a Series I with a 2.0 liter engine @ 7,400 feet above sea level?
If so possibly.
Sorry some of my post didn't show up, but yes on a S1, that needs a complete carb overhaul. The Series will be run from 7,400 up to 9,000 down to 4,300 just to go to town. Watching our posts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really don't understand Holley because they only released 1 single downdraft unit to replace the Ford Autolite 1100 when for the same effort that could have had a universal Sniper that would have fit almost every engine that left the factory with a single barrel carb.

Background:
Holley has software that is 1 to many, in that the ECU in the same unit can be programmed to function properly with a small 4 cylinder all the way up to a V8 as long as you don't run out of the well published fueling capacity.
All you have to do is configure the handheld wizard setup screen with the number of cylinders, displacement, cam type (performance or stock), idle speed, and if the distributor timing is controlled by the ECU or not (you can run a mechanical distributor with or without a vacuum advance or let the ECY control the timing advance).
The Sniper software then calculates and stores the base fueling tables unique to your vehicle that adjust as you drive through a learning feature.
The configuration takes all of 3 to 7 minutes.
Then you cycle the unit and start and drive.
Each time you drive the unit will go into a learning mode that adjusts the fueling tables based on airflow, temperature, AFR calculation, feedback from the O2 sensor, and so on (see post7).

What's Missing, why not think outside the box? You can't please everyone or can you?
The new single barrel is manufactured with the bolt hole spacing, orientation, center bore size, and accelerator arm position configured as a 1 to 1 plug and play Ford Autolite 1100 replacement.
This is crazy, absolutely wasteful.
All they had to do was slot the unit for wider mounting studs or bolts and spline the accelerator shaft so the arm could be positioned anywhere on the shaft.
In this way the unit would fit many to many, instead of many to 1 and right now that 1 is the Ford Autolite 1100 carb.
So unless you are innovative enough to make a custom adapter to reorient the unit to fit the smaller Ford pattern onto the wider spacing of the Chevy inline 6 and position the accelerator arm where a bell crank can fit the arm that is fixed for Ford linkage, the unit is completely useless to a Chevy inline 6 and also every other engine that had a stock single barrel downdraft carburetor.
Next you have to design the geometry for a bell crank to work the accelerator linkage to fit the odd position of the throttle arm in the Ford position.

I expressed this many to many concept to a "manager" I know who works in customer support at Holley and the response was our policy is to make only exact replacements.
My response was the daughter who cooked the holiday dinner the same way her mother always did story, but you get the idea, don't do something the same way only because we have always done it that way.
The arguments against the new concept were just hot air and there is no reason why Holley couldn't manufacture a many to many unit and reap all the benefits.
Imagine the opportunity to make millions if someone else actually built a many to many unit that would work as a single downdraft or sidedraft with a splined linkage arm poking out both ends.
The Holly engineers are either constrained with 1 to 1 design requirements or can't think outside the box, but it doesn't matter because the end result is the same.
Holley has a capable software and ECU combination that will work on many, that is constrained down to a single physical unit, many to 1, when it could be many to many!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Following this as I hope to EFI the wife’s Lada Niva.

Still not sure if I will do a Chevy 6 in anything. But I did just pick up a 3.5 V8 110 that would benefit from a Sniper.

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
To answer multiple PMs on the subject, I think that the performance market in this country (USA) is so heavily engrained in the high performance V8 this and that, that anything outside the realm of V8 with: high compression, performance cam, 4 barrel, custom intake, exhaust headers, with or without a blower or booster, just doesn't get any real attention or focus.

The rest of the marketplace is overlooked, practically ignored, and pacified with what little we can get when we can get it because what everyone needs is a Big V8 in a Big Truck, With a BIG cam and a BIG Carb with loud exhaust and so on.
This is the American mussel car and truck mentality that captures none of my interest.
It completely overlooks all the 2, 4, 5, and 6 cylinder engines that are typically well suited for the applications they were designed for that can be upgraded if needed without chopping up the vehicle to install a BIG V8, and or putting in the powerhouse that is too much engine for the application.
I once pulled a Chevy 350 with automatic out of an MGTD and put the original engine, transmission, sheet metal, frame mounts, driveshaft, rear end, and rear fenders back which took a lot more time and effort than the hack job did for when the V8 automatic was installed.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
RD-VA, Ford sells the 2.3 petrol EcoBoost as a crate motor. 310HP/350FtLbs. $6,500 or so, plus ancillaries and harness and adapters. Has anyone looked into that? Cummins has already been mentioned. Isuzu and BMW motors can be put in a Defender as factory installs, provided one is willing to dig through parts manuals. The Rover V8 can achieve much of what people seem to want, which is 80MPH on the interstate.

You can still by performance parts for the Nifty TwoFifty, just maybe not the latest tech.

As for support of other than V8s
:) did you miss the birth of the tuners? Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Nissan all have performance arms with big HP 4 bangers. There is a huge car culture centered on engines that were not designed and used in the 50’s/60’s/70’s.

I am pretty firmly anti-LS for me and mine. Too much power for a tractor framed truck. Have driven one down at SafariHP, scary fast, scary fun, but not my bag. As you know (and called me, lol) I am a stinky LR diesel snob. But for my LR V8’s, Sniper or FITech, and a remapped (read: runs the engine cooler) ECU is probably the route I will go. So I do appreciate the Sniper info on the forum.

And your sartorial splendor.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
RD-VA, Ford sells the 2.3 petrol EcoBoost as a crate motor. 310HP/350FtLbs. $6,500 or so, plus ancillaries and harness and adapters. Has anyone looked into that? Cummins has already been mentioned. Isuzu and BMW motors can be put in a Defender as factory installs, provided one is willing to dig through parts manuals. The Rover V8 can achieve much of what people seem to want, which is 80MPH on the interstate.

You can still by performance parts for the Nifty TwoFifty, just maybe not the latest tech.

As for support of other than V8s
:) did you miss the birth of the tuners? Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Nissan all have performance arms with big HP 4 bangers. There is a huge car culture centered on engines that were not designed and used in the 50’s/60’s/70’s.

I am pretty firmly anti-LS for me and mine. Too much power for a tractor framed truck. Have driven one down at SafariHP, scary fast, scary fun, but not my bag. As you know (and called me, lol) I am a stinky LR diesel snob. But for my LR V8’s, Sniper or FITech, and a remapped (read: runs the engine cooler) ECU is probably the route I will go. So I do appreciate the Sniper info on the forum.

And your sartorial splendor.
I suggested the Ford 2.3 Eco as a great alternative engine long ago for people looking for a modern powerplant. There is a shop in CT that built one as well. Interestingly the Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost stick shift uses the MT82 box found in the later Defenders. Probably with lots of tweaks to go from RWD set up to a LT230.

·
Premium Member
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input in posts 17 and 18.
I know there are other engine options and actually had never even thought about the Ford 2.3 Eco, so thanks.

The point I was trying to make is there is a small selection outside the V8 aftermarket parts realm and a big selection within.

Reactions: LostChord and Rocky

·
Premium Member
15,313 Posts
Has anyone fit one of these to a 2.25 petrol yet? I hate carbs and love simple fuel injection and the 2.25 petrol and the price for the sniper is dirt cheap. It seems ripe for someone to make a kit to fit it to a series rover and make some money. I am not sure what would be needed. I have a rochchester on my SII now. I assume an adaptor plate (maybe?) and a set up for the linkage. You’d also need a tank with a return and fuel lines and a smaller clamp for the O2 sensor (or just weld in) but that’s all off the shelf stuff. Given how expensive a decent solex is these days and how crap the new zeniths are, with the value of the series trucks, I bet you would sell quite a few. I just don’t want to be the prototyper and don’t have the time for sure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts