Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install a Lokar shifter/gear selector. I have the shifter unit/assembly from Lokar as well as the adaptor plate from Nick/RW-engineering.

Before I start to take things apart, anything I should double check. Is the install process straight forward? I'm starting from a somewhat make-shift set-up from a previous owner (see attached). Truck is a 4.0L V8, LT230, ZF HP auto.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I got this installed over the weekend but I can't seem to get it to engage 1st gear (I ran through the full movement starting at park, then removed the rod and confirmed I was able to get one more click into 1st gear w/out the linkage connected). It appears the supplied transmission arm/lever might be too long (the stock lever is too short).

Any tips? I tried to put a second "lower" hole into the lever (to effectively shorten it) and it appears to be too short, so, maybe I need to be somewhere in between (green circle) and try again? But, I've never heard of anyone needing to modify the transmission lever. Maybe this is because Lokar is now only supplying a single universal quad arm, instead of the old straight version?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
739 Posts
I used a custom/homemade rod for linkage. Picked up a rod at local hardware store and threaded both ends to allow me to adjust the span, kind of like a turnbuckle. Not sure if this will provide you the range that you need but it was literally a couple of bucks worth of materials for me. If you dont have a die set, i am sure you could just use a threaded rod - or perhaps just for prototyping.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a custom/homemade rod for linkage.
Thanks. The Lokar supplied rod is adjustable and I'm able to adjust it. The thing is, with the shifter in Park and the Transmission in park, it's somewhat of a fixed distance between the two mounting holes. I have no problem adjusting the rod to match that length but it doesn't shift properly when doing so...

How did you "adjust" the span, when the two starting points (shifter locked in Park, transmission engaged in park) are fixed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts