Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
NAS 1994 Portofino D90 ST
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving an NAS Defender with Old Man Emu shocks, steering damper, and heavy duty springs. I recently removed about 700 lbs of equipment (safari cage, rock sliders, heavy duty winch, ARB brush guard) and would like a more comfortable ride as the current setup is tired, uncomfortable, and it feels a little like I'm driving a school bus. I don't expect the truck to have the same tight handling and suspension as my RR Sport, but anything would be an improvement over the current land yacht setup.

Bilstein (5100, B6 4600), OME, Rancho, Terrafirma, Pro Comp, Fox, or OEM? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm no longer rock crawling - occasionally hauling dogs, mountain bikes, kayaks, and camping gear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1988 ROW 110 From w/ LS3 6L80E
229 Posts
There are a lot of threads here on spring suggestions. I would search the forum. For shocks, I recently went with OME Nitrosport shocks all around and on the steering as well. Night and day with my set up. I have stock springs. I had the same use case as you. Just getting around town. Its a soft ride yet good handling. Nice balance. The other option I always hear great things on the defender are the Bilsteins. Avoid britpart shocks at all cost. Dont ask how I know :)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Not sure if you’re running a lift but RTE has progressive rate springs which should provide a softer ride.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my incoming 97 D90. Based on garage height, probably going with the Stock / OEM setup with no lift.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my incoming 97 D90. Based on garage height, probably going with the Stock / OEM setup with no lift.
I believe RTE progressive springs start at a 2” lift, but they may be able to get stock height. But a 2” lift would be ideal if you decide to add any accessories; bumper, winch etc. And you should have no problem fitting in the average garage door opening with a 2” lift. Maybe others can confirm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts