Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have stripped a total of two threads in this entire engine swap... both of which had nothing directly to do with the swap itself. :facepalm:

This time, it was the in reinstalling the slave cylinder on my long LT77 bellhousing. I felt a bit of friction and made sure to hand install the bolt and felt to make sure it was getting threads. Nonetheless, it stripped. Clarification: this is one of the tapped holes on the bellhousing.

I'm prepared to tap a size bigger and also drill out that hole of the slave and metal seal. However, I wanted to check here first to see if anyone had any better ideas. Replacement bell-housing is my last resort. Thanks in advance!

Between 'little things' like this and waiting on small, seemingly inconsequential ancillary parts... it seems that the last 10% of this swap is taking 90% of my time!

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
yeah, I'd go with a helicoil insert, as John suggests, though it's gotta be a good bite because there are only two bolts and it's all pulling/pushing pressure on the bolt, not any shear pressure.
If you don't think the helical is sufficient, maybe tap it out with a course thread one size up.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
yeah, I'd go with a helicoil insert, as John suggests, though it's gotta be a good bite because there are only two bolts and it's all pulling/pushing pressure on the bolt, not any shear pressure.
If you don't think the helical is sufficient, maybe tap it out with a course thread one size up.
Based on the mechanics of the slave cylinder I would go one hole size bigger and tap it. If it was a pivot point the helicol would be ok.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Helicoils are easy to do and *plenty* strong enough for that application.And much more likely to cause you to cuss in the near or distant future.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp I couldn't find the coils I needed locally - I ended up tapping one size larger and everything seems to be working out fine. I worried a bit about drilling the thin cast aluminum on the slave but all turned out fine.

Thanks for the help all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts