Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day of a week vacation on Martha's Vineyard. After driving 200 miles her and off an on all day without issue the Defender 90 NAS 1994 won't start. I turn key all lights on start flicker for a second bUT then no noise like pump or injectors going. Then cranks and starts for 2 seconds them dies. Each time.

I'm here with family. Called AAA but any recommendations on where to tow it? Any clue what could be? Battery? Fuel pump? Fuel pump is brand new LR factory. Less than 6 months old.

Help!

978-495-1606.

Will

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Check your ground connections. Pretty sure you will find a loose or corroded negative wire on engine or chassis

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I'm a little confused, is it cranking, then starting and dying? Or is it just cranking for two seconds?

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I'm a little confused, is it cranking, then starting and dying? Or is it just cranking for two seconds?
I'm with Craig(STS)... Had any electrical work done recently? Some new lights for the trip? Check all the grounds and wiring if any is new.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Try cranking it with the pedal to the floor. Jason (Leastonce) had a starting issue that was from the stepper motor. Having the pedal floored with essentially bypass it and enable it to get started. My other guess would be fuel pump relays or the fuel pump itself, but anything is possible. I guessing you probably have spark if it starts for a second.

I don't think the headlights will come on unless the key is in position II.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put on high beams and they worked then the low beams worked Then it started and drove fine back to the cottage my family is renting but now it's bad again. Same issue.

Anyone know a good shop here on Martha's Vineyard I can have look at it? Right now me and the wife and 2 year old are stranded.

Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone. Seems like something with a bad wire or ground. Once I got the headlights to work started perfect and ran for about a half hour great. Dead again. Left message with MV Auto to hopefully see if they can tow it in morning. I can't figure out where bad ground is.

------ Follow up post added July 12th, 2015 07:47 PM ------

Great way to start a week vacation on Martha's Vineyard!

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Lights barely working? Sounds like very low voltage. Can it be jump started? I would check battery first, possible alternator and I have heard of others swapping to new fuel pump only to have that die again. Good luck.

Just saw your last post. Did you look at the connections to the battery under the seat? Loose terminal?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I have the 95 here, if you want to do trial and error with any relays, although it sounds like a ground.

In terms of garages on the island, I have a few that I would trust, but this is the busy season, and routine work takes weeks and costs $$$.

If you need an extra car or ride, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not weak. All other light work great cranks stong. Headlights just won't come on. Thanks for concern.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Thank you everyone. Seems like something with a bad wire or ground. Once I got the headlights to work started perfect and ran for about a half hour great. Dead again. Left message with MV Auto to hopefully see if they can tow it in morning. I can't figure out where bad ground is.

------ Follow up post added July 12th, 2015 07:47 PM ------

Great way to start a week vacation on Martha's Vineyard!
But it ran great today until the Island......thats what's puzzling me. Did you check any of the voltages of the battery or alternator?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the 95 here, if you want to do trial and error with any relays, although it sounds like a ground.

In terms of garages on the island, I have a few that I would trust, but this is the busy season, and routine work takes weeks and costs $$$.

If you need an extra car or ride, shoot me a PM.
Thank you so so much. I left messages for MV auto will see what they say in the morning. I fear it will take a while but if so I can try a rental car.

People like you and others on this forum that make for a great community thank you all.

It ran great all day and has been great for months. Keeping fingers crossed but will hopefully know where I stand tomorrow.

Not letting this ruin our vacation!

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
See post #3

1 - 20 of 62 Posts