Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know how it goes in? Do you position the vent levers up or down? Do you put it over the vent levers first or do you put the round part in first and then fit over the levers? Which part do you bend?

The new one is shaped a little different from the old one. I'm tempted to try putting the old one in, but it doesn't look as nice. I've scratched up the new one though on the round part so I guess the old one doesn't look a whole lot worse now. It scrapes against the little metal clips on the lower dash. It's so frustrating I have a headache. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked in the workshop manual (NAS 97 version) and it doesn't say how to fit it, but for removal it says, "Carefully fold back trim panel to clear fresh air vent operating levers and remove panel from parcel shelf." So the reverse of that would be to put the round part in first and then bend it to fit over the levers. That's what I tried doing first and scratched it. I guess I'll need to put down a soft cloth. I wish I noticed it was scraping on the clips.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Just did one last week, it is a fight. I put the round part down in first and tweaked until vent levers went through. I also had the pacel shelf facia strip, the black plastic piece, in place.

+1 for the e30 in the bckground.
-1 for the toes an flippy flops.
;)

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coming in out of the house it's easier to put on flip flops. :)

Thanks. It looks like I'll hold off putting it in for now because I ordered another parcel shelf. I figured out the new fascia is shaped different because the parcel shelf for the Td5 has extra space for the wiring. The old parcel shelf doesn't stay down very well with all the wiring under it. I guess that gives me time to fix it now. I'll have to take it down to the paint shop so they can match.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts

Thanks. It looks like I'll hold off putting it in for now because I ordered another parcel shelf. I figured out the new fascia is shaped different because the parcel shelf for the Td5 has extra space for the wiring. The old parcel shelf doesn't stay down very well with all the wiring under it. I guess that gives me time to fix it now. I'll have to take it down to the paint shop so they can match.
Did you find a Td5 parcel shelf? I've been looking for one for a long time(98-02), the angled vent panel is different as well. Ran into this with the harness I bought

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you find a Td5 parcel shelf? I've been looking for one for a long time(98-02), the angled vent panel is different as well. Ran into this with the harness I bought
Yes, I found one in the Netherlands. It looks like they only had 1 because it says out of stock now. I'll let you know if I find another.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see they have another one that is on a complete bulkhead, but the bulkhead is in bad shape so maybe they would be willing to part it. I sent them a message.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I see they have another one that is on a complete bulkhead, but the bulkhead is in bad shape so maybe they would be willing to part it. I sent them a message.
Damn, good find! Such an obscure part, only produced on LHD models for 3-4 years. Have mine installed with a normal shelf/vent panel and it's fine but certainly not ideal

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going through this I'm thinking it would have been easier to go with the 02+ dash.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I’ve put many of those vent panels in and it’s always a fight. It always feels like I’m gonna break it.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are pulling the dash out/off, get some dynamat or similar on the bulkhead
Thanks for the tip. I thought that stuff melts and turns into goo because it's made out of tar. I don't want a mess. I'll just leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I thought that stuff melts and turns into goo because it's made out of tar. I don't want a mess. I'll just leave it alone.
Its 100% fine inside the cab of the vehicle. Forget about putting it under the hood.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Rovers North now stocks the pre-TD5 LHD panels. I took a few pictures of my install, just so I would remember for next time...

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Does anyone know why the older fascia has a cutout on top on the RH side while the XA159807 + version doesn't? I can't think of what it would interfere with if it doesn't have the cutout. The dash ventilator is the same part up to 1A622423.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I painted it with SEM color coat code 4307 Dark Smoke. It's pretty close to Land Rover's Dark Granite. Maybe just a hair darker, which is fine with me. I painted the radio/switch housing too which didn't originally match very well anyways, and the plastic clips. If you're planning to do this I suggest to avoid the aerosol cans and have them mix it up to spray in a gun. At first I tried an aerosol can of Thomas Bus Grey and it sprayed awful. It was a little too light also. It ended up very blotchy. The gun gave a nice even coat. :)

IMG_6470xr.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just some tips, which might be helpful. I used the sand free adhesion promoter, which is wet on wet. And to paint the clips I just held them in my hand and painted the tops.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Does anyone know if the trim piece that goes on top of the parcel shelf that covers the wires for the switches & cigar lighter is physically different for 99-01 compared to the older one? I'm trying to decide if I should try to source that part or trim my old one to fit the newer parcel shelf. It looks like it won't completely cover the wiring hole in the back of the parcel shelf if I trim it; like it should be higher up on the back, but looking at the photo of it on Britcar it looks like the angle is the same as on the old one, just cut different. Do you think that's the case?

The newer part is FAR100150 (and FAR100130) and the older one is 346786 and BTR9552.

Photo of newer one here: FAR100150 | RADIO CASSETTE INSTRUMENT PACK COVER - DEFENDER 1987-2006 FROM (V) XA159807 | Land Rover | Defender 1983 To 2006 | Britcar (UK) Ltd

Photos of older one I found here: 346786 | OBSOLETE - DO NOT ORDER | Land Rover | | Britcar (UK) Ltd and BTR9552 | OBSOLETE - NO LONGER AVAILABLE | Land Rover | | Britcar (UK) Ltd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts