Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
94' NAS 3.9 Petrol D90 White soft top (LT77 -> R380, LT230)
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm broken down at the corner of 70 & 191 heading towards salt lake. Any rover guys in the area? It started missing a little then becoming a little hard to start. It quickly deteriorated. The pump is getting gas to the filter and I was getting a spark. Got it to start and idling. When i accelerated it died. Can't get it to start.
I have AAA, but don't know where to tow it.
303-408-9069

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
303-408-9069

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Begin by looking for zero dollar problems: open vaccum port or hose that fell off or cracked. This will make starting and running very tough as it is in an extremely lean condition. Clogged fuel line: if you can remove the connection and blow backward toward the tank you may clea any blockage...temporarily.
Next could be bad rotor, bad amplifier module, or bad fuel pump. Also something like a dying battery can give symptoms of other things like ignition or fuel problems. EFI hates low voltage. If it was running then died,, it's likely something fairly simple.

Reactions: cbass

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice. I'm hoping it's not the distributor I replaced a year ago. I removed the fuel filter - got gas to flow in both directions. That doesn't confirm pressure.
Spark seems erratic at the plug and good off the coil wire.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Good luck man, I hope you got it sorted. As posted above, GBR in Salt Lake City are great. I've also had good experience with Rover Restoration, in case the ones mentioned above are too booked out, you could try them. I'm in Salt Lake City too in case you need a ride or shuttle somewhere, just let me know.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for your help. It was the ignition module on my rather new replacement distributor that was the problem. Finding quality replacement parts is becoming an issue.

Reactions: cbass

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
When I was driving Range Rover Classics, rotor arm, cap, and amplifier module were in my spares kit on board. You can also switch to the GM type module which is cheap and plentiful. Requires making a baby wire harness to connect to the pins on the distributor, but allows you to move the module off the engine to a place where you can switch it out easily if needed.

Reactions: Ozzie

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good advice to carry all three.
I have reinstalled the original distributor and that part of the problem has been addressed; I will need to replace the vacuum advance unit. But in general, you get what you pay for.

However, problem number 2 occurred around the same time - I believe my timing chain has slipped a tooth. It is a high mileage original 3.9 from 94'. It is running poorly and idles best at about 20° ATDC. When approaching the timing mark (5° BTDC) it will idol extreamly rough then stall. The engine does not sound right either.
I don't want to replace the gears and chain on a high mileage motor (lots of blow by).

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
The plastic timing gears basically wear out.. I elected to just replace the motor at 200k rather than piecemeal all the repairs on it and do a full rebuild on my block at some point in the future, hopefully before I bed to pull the 4.6 out.
anyway I have been trying to eliminate as many of the crappy failure prone parts as possible..
The amp above is a good start, I went with a GM HEI distributor, and reworked the coolant system to use better parts.
If you can find used TPS sensors buy them now.. that is NLA.
otherwise a well maintained and cooled river Motor is quite reliable.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to purchase a 4.0 or 4.6 (assuming it works with the 3.9 top end) short block, improved cam and lifters, slightly worked heads then assemble and drop in. I'll keep the stock distributor as it has never failed - requires a replacement advance unit. I want it to look stock under the hood.

What are TPS sensors?

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Throttle position sensor..
My 4.6 uses a 3.9 front cover and 3.9 plenum…
Everything else is late gen 4.6 so it looks and works like stock.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds good. However, I'll take a fresh 3.9 short too. It seems that the larger blocks are more available.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts