Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Gents!
I am a fairly new Land Rover Defender owner in Canada. RHD 1987 Ninety with a 200 TDi. 4 coats of paint. 6 different colours. This thing has been through hell and back, and looks the part. Love it to death.

Looking at purchasing another, but I'm in dire need of some assistance from a UK resident. If anyone is willing to help me please send me an email or PM!

Thank you

Alex

20150523_193830.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello Again

Unfortunately I couldn't find any help from anyone in the UK. I'm afraid this Defender 90 is due to be crushed/destroyed. Couldn't Import it due to VIN issues(Issued new VIN by UK DVLA in 2008). Been up for auction 4 times now. No one seems to be able to move this thing. Didn't take a chance myself without a letter from the DVLA explaining why it had a new VIN issued. DVLA wouldn't release information to me as I am not a UK resident.

Who knows? May come up again. The 110 next to it looks nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Unfortunately I couldn't find any help from anyone in the UK. I'm afraid this Defender 90 is due to be crushed/destroyed. Couldn't Import it due to VIN issues(Issued new VIN by UK DVLA in 2008). Been up for auction 4 times now. No one seems to be able to move this thing. Didn't take a chance myself without a letter from the DVLA explaining why it had a new VIN issued. DVLA wouldn't release information to me as I am not a UK resident. Who knows? May come up again. The 110 next to it looks nice.
What do you need specifically?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What do you need specifically?
I needed someone in the UK to email the DVLA a request for information about the vehicle using the VIN. I found it impossible to find information about the vehicle myself since the UK systems use the registration number of the vehicle to track data. The registration number is unknown.

DVLA instructed me to fill out a V888 information request form, but this form also required the registration number, as well as a UK utility bill to prove UK residency. I responded that the vehicle's registration number is unknown, and that I am not a UK resident.

I only needed information as to why the Vehicle was issued a new VIN to get it past Canadian Customs.

They responded that, although I have reasonable cause to access this information, they do not release information outside the UK.

Why would I go through all this trouble? The thing was selling repeatedly for $500. Where else can I get a 1985 Ninety for $500?

Anyways I let the 1985 ninety go, sold my 1987 ninety, and purchased a 1993 Defender 110 a couple days ago. Should expect it near the end of the month.

If the 1985 comes up again it may be importable as "parts only".

·
Premium Member
10,802 Posts
The only reason the DVLA would issue a vin is if your vehicle has been built or rebuilt from the parts of multiple other vehicles ie just like a kit car.
Based on your statement I would say there is no way to prove that the 90 is eligible for importing as a vehicle.

Therefore importing for parts only is your only choice.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
The only reason the DVLA would issue a vin is if your vehicle has been built or rebuilt from the parts of multiple other vehicles ie just like a kit car. Based on your statement I would say there is no way to prove that the 90 is eligible for importing as a vehicle. Therefore importing for parts only is your only choice.
Agreed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason the DVLA would issue a vin is if your vehicle has been built or rebuilt from the parts of multiple other vehicles ie just like a kit car.
Based on your statement I would say there is no way to prove that the 90 is eligible for importing as a vehicle.

Therefore importing for parts only is your only choice.

It is also possible that the vehicle was a theft recovery in which case the vehicle would have been importable.

After importing the VIN reissued vehicle there would have been another song and dance involving a vintage car appraiser who would need to certify that it was a genuine vintage Land Rover Ninety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found the 1985 again. A different auction house is now handling the sale of this vehicle, and requires the vehicle to be exported to a non-contiguous country. Totally out of reach now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts