Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Lennie and I practically grew up with Land Rovers. One of my first clear memories involving a Land Rover is from 1979, where as I kid, I found myself in a by then already aging box-body 109 Series IIa, sandwiched in the front center seat looking at a dusty speedometer right in front of me, its needle bouncing about between 70 and 80 km/h, while at the vehicle was being operated near its limits. At this speed the vehicle was maintaining a slight float that evened out the worst harshness of the dusty and severely corrugated bush road that continued endlessly across the plains. Around me the sounds of the rattling body supplemented by odd thumps from the suspension as it bottomed out over the odd pothole intertwined with a whining gearbox and wailing engine fan as it all strained to keep up. All awhile there was that ever present characteristic hot oily smell coming from the hot leaky gearbox and engine, while next to me the driver was working tense but skillfully to keep the car on the road and maintain speed.
When I came of age I became engaged in the safari industry and have since worked extensively with both Land Cruisers and Land Rovers both in the bush and in the workshop. Up until the late 80’s we used primarily Series IIIs but since then it’s been mainly Land Cruisers along with a few 110s. I own a 69’ Peugeot 404 and a 93’ Defender Tdi200 110. I think this is a great forum and look much forward to join your discussions here..

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing your input regarding African bushcraft, shade tree mechanic techniques and overland modifications. And share pictures of your 110!

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
Awesome Lennie...Jambo jina langu ni Craig kubwa wake kukutana na wewe. Nzuri ya kuona wewe juu ya jukwaa hili - swahili yangu ni kutu , mimi kupendwa Arusha - mahali nzuri.

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
Welcome here Lennie.
Send us a picture of you with your 1993.
Are you in Kenya?

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
Google Translate or does Craig speak Swahili?
I lived in Kenya for 12 mos and traveled everywhere in East Africa....Swahili is a must.

Here is Kim in the Series III I had while there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
I lived in Kenya for 12 mos and traveled everywhere in East Africa....Swahili is a must.

Here is Kim in the Series III I had while there.
Very cool!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome Lennie...Jambo jina langu ni Craig kubwa wake kukutana na wewe. Nzuri ya kuona wewe juu ya jukwaa hili - swahili yangu ni kutu , mimi kupendwa Arusha - mahali nzuri.
Vipi Craig, nimefurahi kukutana na wewe pia hapa kwenye tovuti hii. Kiswahili chako siyo mbaya sana, labda inataka mazoezi kidogo. Karibu Arusha! Nice 88 you have there with Jerry-cans and all. Thats actually a classic photo, cause thats how I remember Land Rovers and the like coming down from Kenya - with round speed-limit sticker and reflectors which were obligatory in Kenya but not in Tanzania back then.

Google Translate or does Craig speak Swahili?
down_shift, he does actually! Im looking forward to see how well Craig knows the various parts of a Land Rover in swahili :talker

Welcome here Lennie.
Send us a picture of you with your 1993.
Are you in Kenya?
rdavisinva, actually Im in Denmark at the moment otherwise its Arusha. We used to come to Nairobi frequently get spare-parts back in the day. These days there is good availability in Arusha, so unfortunately I don't often find reason to go. Are you in Kenya?

Thanks to all of you for the welcome!! Thought I'd include a couple of photos of my Defender from over the years.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
hello
welcome.
when i was young i have great moment in my father's 404!!
yes i am leaving in France,country of that car!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts