Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum (obviously) and have been on the hunt for a Defender 110. I seem to have many questions that I find tough to find answers, so I thought I'd try asking the pros!

I've read all about the difficulty and shenanigans associated with getting the D110 legalized in California, which I'd really like to avoid if possible.

So I've found two vehicles (both at Land Rover dealerships on opposite sides of the country) and I wanted to ask your opinions.

The first is a 1990 D110 converted to left hand drive (I need left hand drive). 10,000 miles, diesel, AC, 35" tires, leather. She is super clean and free of any rust, has a clean carfax, and the dealership just put a bunch of money in to clean it up. It is listed around $75k. Oh, and she is completely California legal and ready to drive off the lot with no further headache.

The second is a 1993 D110 NAS. 40,000 original miles, clean carfax, no real upgrades but I know it has a clean history and is obviously legal in California being the 93 NAS. One thing I find concerning is I'm seeing some rust on the car, in various spots (on the photos). This car costs $70k.

Would anyone kindly have some advice to offer? It would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

CaliGirl :cowboy

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
The 1990 d110 unless it has a California BAR sticker saying that it has been emissions altered to be legal in the state, is not legal . And probably not worth 75k.

The Nas is a good deal and legal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1990 d110 unless it has a California BAR sticker saying that it has been emissions altered to be legal in the state, is not legal . And probably not worth 75k.

The Nas is a good deal and legal
I wanted to add some photos:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Agree totally with Naplm00. Depending what states that NAS has lived will determine how MUCH rust it has? Be sure to have plenty in your budget for fixing the 110 on top of your purchase price. Definitely stay away from the other one!

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
If its the NAS 110 from the dealer in NJ? I think its a decent truck but it has some issues for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If its the NAS 110 from the dealer in NJ? I think its a decent truck but it has some issues for sure.
Yes, I think it is now in PA, but it was in NJ. What are your thoughts on the truck?

------ Follow up post added June 18th, 2019 02:21 PM ------

Agree totally with Naplm00. Depending what states that NAS has lived will determine how MUCH rust it has? Be sure to have plenty in your budget for fixing the 110 on top of your purchase price. Definitely stay away from the other one!
Thanks so much for your reply. It looks like it has lived on the East Coast most of its life...

------ Follow up post added June 18th, 2019 02:24 PM ------

We have also been looking at HHH Heritage and East Coast Defender. They both do beautiful work, but the price range is a bit steep.

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
If you dont want hassles buy a NAS, you can afford it ! ROW is great but getting it reged is nearly impossible

·
Registered
399 Posts
How attached are you to getting a 110, or is a 90 OK? 90 NAS are easier to find than 110 NAS'.
Once a while, you do see CA registered RoW Defenders come up for sale, but it's pretty rare.
There is also a shop in San Diego or LA, that sells RoW with CARB stickers ... the company name escapes me, but that's also an option.

A few weeks ago, a 1993 NAS 110 with new frame and some refreshed bits sold on ebay for just over $80k.
If that 110 NAS is in good shape, 70 is a pretty good deal.

·
Super Moderator
1,641 Posts
Welcome!

Just to pile on with others, be VERY suspicious of people claiming to be selling "California Legal" Defenders that are ROW trucks.

The ONLY way they can prove that is to send you a picture of the California Bureau of Auto Repair CARB compliance sticker that will be in the engine bay. It will have the VIN on it. If it doesn't have it, it's NOT LEGAL. They may have lucked out and registered it in the past, but when you transfer title it will get put under scrutiny again. By then you own the thing, and it will be up to you to deal with the mess.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
when you transfer title it will get put under scrutiny again.
Are you saying the dmv does an evaluation of the vehicle’s legality every time the title is transferred? Do you have some first hand knowledge on that particular fact or are you speculating?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts