Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have always loved the LR Defenders and have decided to buy one this fall/winter. I am a prepper/survivalist and do K9 search and rescue in rugged areas of Montana so the mid to late 80's 110 or 110 double cab is what I'm interested in. I have no problem rebuilding and actually would prefer doing that. So my question is how dependable are they're drive trains and power Trains? I ask this as I have come across several that have been converted to Chevy V-8's and Dana diffs. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
As a prepper/survivalist a Jeep would better fit your needs.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
If you really want a Defender, then that's exactly what you should get. The LS conversions are great and would definitely fit your needs. As a prepper you can always start your own spares stock...

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I've got to agree with Ray and Raub, from a prepper/survivalist perspective. In a SHTF environment there will be more parts/vehicles that you could cannibalize for spare parts for a Jeep than a Rover.

From a basic reliability perspective, I haven't found rovers to be any worse or better than the jeeps.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Besides, should our civilization slip into a "survivalist" situation, banging around the country side like Laura Croft in an overbuilt Defender would make you one hell of a target for the roving bands of shitheads that would surely love such a prize. Thus putting your survival in jeopardy and negating all the "prepping" you have done. Go with something low profile and worthless looking. Like an AWD Astro mini van.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
If I did I would probably have a 35 year old and be a grandfather. As it was I had a 1970 IIa and never got laid in it (mostly because it stayed broken down in my parents driveway) though not for lack of trying.

Reactions: JSBriggs
1 - 9 of 9 Posts