Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I am also trying to understand how the high and low heat settings work. Does the high setting cause current to go through both output circuits?
In the low heat setting, current flows through the bottom cushion and seat back elements in series. So essentially, each element gets about 6 volts across it. In the high setting, they are in parallel, so each element gets the full +12V. That's all the relays do.

When I did the wiring for mine I ran the power for the 2 seats through another relay, powered by a fused unswitched circuit. The coil on that relay was energized by a switched +12V circuit. That way, the ignition switch did not get the full current load from the heaters.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
So……. is the cig lighter circut suitably sized and fused? I’m sure it’s fused on the factory fuse block (I think). And the Exmoor supplied harness has a 7.5 fuse, one for each seat.

Thanks!

Tracy
Bad idea, real bad idea.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
A cig lighter plug doesn't maintain very good contact and will often pop loose and disconnect itself.
Heated seats certainly draw more than 7.5 AMPs, so the plug would get hot and melt over time provided it stayed connected long enough (not taking into account the low amperage fuse if we did the fuse would blow when you plugged it in).
I do not understand the dependency of the cig lighter plug as there are much better types of plugs available in Europe and Africa (Hella).
Am switching our 12V fridge plugs over to Hella Plugs as am sick of having to fiddle with the stock cig lighter things to reconnect them after they easily vibrate loose.
And don't forget that if you were able to get this convoluted idea to work and left it plugged in overnight, the next time you try and start the vehicle there isn't any power left to turn the engine over.

·
Registered
2003 130
79 Posts
A cig lighter plug doesn't maintain very good contact and will often pop loose and disconnect itself.
Heated seats certainly draw more than 7.5 AMPs, so the plug would get hot and melt over time provided it stayed connected long enough (not taking into account the low amperage fuse if we did the fuse would blow when you plugged it in).
I do not understand the dependency of the cig lighter plug as there are much better types of plugs available in Europe and Africa (Hella).
Am switching our 12V fridge plugs over to Hella Plugs as am sick of having to fiddle with the stock cig lighter things to reconnect them after they easily vibrate loose.
And don't forget that if you were able to get this convoluted idea to work and left it plugged in overnight, the next time you try and start the vehicle there isn't any power left to turn the engine over.
I was NOT suggesting a plug into the cig lighter. Even I’m smarter and more competent that that. I was going to tap into the hot lead circuit that supplies power to the cig lighter.

TRacy

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
If you want a (+) source take it off the starter lug and don't try and tap into an area that is not set up for that.
You have my apology on the cig plug itself when you were referring to the overall feed circuit.
Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I was NOT suggesting a plug into the cig lighter. Even I’m smarter and more competent that that. I was going to tap into the hot lead circuit that supplies power to the cig lighter.
The cig lighter is a switched circuit with a 7.5 amp fuse. So tapping two other circuits each with 7.5 amp fuses probably isn't a good idea. IMO it's not a good idea to run the heaters through the ignition switch (i.e., on a switched circuit) since it's a frequently used long-term load, unlike the loads used in the cig lighter: hi-draw load like tire inflators are rarely used, mostly they are now used for cellphone chargers.

In the NAS fusebox (don't know about others), there are 1 or 2 unused fused, unswitched positions. Hook the Exmoor circuits to one of those, through a third relay you'll need to add. The coil on this relay is a low-current load and can be tapped into an existing switched circuit, like the cig lighter.

Note that the relays, one for each seat, in each Exmoor heater circuit are NOT for reducing the current draw on the ignition switch, they are used to convert the heaters from a series connection (low heat setting) to a parallel connection (high heat setting).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tapped into the wires on the back of the cig lighter. My (Amazon) heated seats have a high and low and work great. The cig line was suggested so you don't drain the battery as it's only one when the ignition is on.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.