Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys use for headliner adhesive. I've tried to find Weldwood Landau top and trim (first choice, illegal in Canada) or the Helmiprene 4510 (second best, made in Canada, impossible to find 1 gallon jug, only 5 gallon minimum). If I knew someone to split the 5 gallon I would do it but it's $260 shipped and I don't need that much. The 3M 1357 seems good, high heat and all but I can't find any info on someone using it.

Sean

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Just used this to do a D2. Excellent results.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've always had terrible luck with permeated and 3m products, I don't know if it's my impatience or what but they never last. It sounds crazy but I've started using drywall corner beed spray adhesive.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Sean, what are you using for headliner material, and are you adhering it to the stock biscuit?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping you’d chime in.

it’s actually for the leather to aluminum dash so I want something that can brush on. I’ll need it for the headliner eventually that’s why I’m trying for the Helmiprene. Christie’s fabric in Vancouver can get the 5 gallon jug so I think I’ll just buy that but he’s in Australia right now lol.
Sean

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a beautiful car. I appreciate it, I tried calling around here and it seems to be a big secret or they have no idea. Best answer I got was "that 3M stuff" lol.

Did my first test piece as a wrap with vinyl, little bit loose and I need a bright light and better glasses.

Sean

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,301 Posts
3M 74 is what I've used and seen used at shops that do it for a living. Holds much stronger than the foam. If you want to get it off in the future a regular spray adhesive is a better choice, but you may need to redo in ten years.

·
Super Moderator
12,301 Posts
You don't want to brush on glue.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the dash I do, Helmiprene can be brushed or sprayed that's why it's my first choice so I can use it on the headliner as well.

Sean

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a sagging headliner in the usual spot. I found some hi-temp Velcro 4 inch seems like it works well. I thought about e6000 adhesive but the set time was to quick and if the head liner ever has to to come down it wouldn’t. I tried taking it off and had to us a spatula and down pressure tension. It’s a bit of a pain in the a$# but if the headliner ever has to come off it will come off. I also used 1/8“ dyna mat that went in easy it’s sticky as the dickens it really quieted the interior.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up ordering the Helmiprene 4510 from Christy's Fabrics in Vancouver. It was $200 for a 5 gallon which will be enough for the dash, headliner and anything else I ever do lol. As a comparison, the 3m sprays are about 1 lb/can and anywhere from $20-45. This is 50 lbs worth, so I guess it's a good deal.

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Word is spray is the preferred method of application for best results. Brushing can create a "balling" of the adhesive if it starts drying, which can leave imperfections in the finish. I would say it would just depend on one's level of OCD standards.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the dash needs to be brushed for better control when stretching leather etc but for sure headliner would be sprayed.

Sean

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may be interested in buying some off you if there's any of the 5 gallons left when you're done. I'm in Vancouver and planning on fixing my headliner this spring. The "hold the roof up with a stick" option is getting a little old.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha I bet.

I don't imagine I'll even use half of it. He also suggested this other one which is a copy of the Helmiprene but I didn't want to be the guinea pig using it on the dash with the amount of work it will be.

Jefbond 2000 Adhesive( 4 Ltre can) Ennis Fabrics

I would talk to him first to make sure this is the one, he can add it to his site if needed.

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I may be interested in buying some off you if there's any of the 5 gallons left when you're done. I'm in Vancouver and planning on fixing my headliner this spring. The "hold the roof up with a stick" option is getting a little old.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
If you're interested, I have the middle and rear sections of a headliner available. The front section is in so-so shape, but the 2 rear sections biscuits are in good shape. I also have genuine re-upholstery Ripple Grey material available too. Just over on the North Shore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts